Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Stevearniepalmer
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Heater Problem

Post by Stevearniepalmer »

Hi All
I’m not sure if this is in the correct section but I’m sure someone will move it if it’s in the wrong bit.
When I’m driving Audrey, a 1967 4 door the heater is blasting out hot air all the time.Now in the winter this is fantastic but in the heat of the summer not so good🥵I turn the fan off and make sure the pull/push switch is pulled out but it doesn’t make any difference apart from the fan isn’t blowing hot air obviously.
Has anyone got any ideas about this.
Many thanks
Steve
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Heater Problem

Post by philthehill »

It sounds as if the heater valve on the back of the cylinder head is not working.
You should be able to shut off and stop the coolant circulating by closing the valve.
It may seem like a daft question - are you pushing and pulling the fresh air valve and and not the hot water valve?
A photo of the heater valve on the rear of your cylinder head would be appreciated.

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-m ... 51-71.html

Stevearniepalmer
Minor Friendly

Ill see if i can take a picture tomorrow.Im a bit confused though because in the cab there is only the standard set up with the heater which is car screen off and a fan switch and then the push for heat switch which is pulled as far out as it can go.Should i be doing something in the engine .I previously owned a 61 2door and that had a sort of tap which you turned off in the summer in the engine.
pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

I took the cable operated water valve off mine and put the old style tap on instead, mine also radiates a bit of heat even when the heater lever is set to off. I think it is probably due to the crude foam seal on the flap being a bit perished that allows some air past.
I leave my heater tap open all the time, I read somewhere it promotes better water circulation at the back of the cylinder head if left open.

Phil P
Stevearniepalmer
Minor Friendly

Im gonna investigate tomorrow because when i went out today within about 5 mins it was like a sauna and my left leg was decidedly hot to the touch😌.Somethings in this car have been left to stand etc.Also is it possible that the pull push switch is fitted the wrong way round?
Stevearniepalmer
Minor Friendly

Hi a photo if this helps at all.
In this position is that no heat or full heat?
C7404391-69B8-434B-98DE-50419D38C25F.jpeg
C7404391-69B8-434B-98DE-50419D38C25F.jpeg (923.62 KiB) Viewed 910 times
liammonty
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by liammonty »

I've amended my previously unintelligible post (corrected by my 'smart' phone so that it makes some sense...!

In the picture, the valve is in the ‘no heat’ position. It sounds as though it has failed, which is no great surprise - they are notorious for doing so, and unfortunately, the replacements available aren't much good. People have come up with various work-arounds which you'll find on the message board if you have a search.

You will not be confusing the controls as Phil suggested could be the case, as your later heater doesn’t have a knob control for turning off the fresh air flow (some earlier cars had this control just under the parcel shelf which looks like the heater control knob). You can turn the ram air flow off with the lever on the front of the your heater though (lever all the way down if memory serves) - that should cool you down a fair bit as no air will pass through the heater.
Last edited by liammonty on Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Trickydicky
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by Trickydicky »

Here is a comprehensive video on how to spruce up your heater. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v75LjUrVaPE
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
Stevearniepalmer
Minor Friendly

Thanks for the suggestions.
At least I know now that I’m not doing anything wrong in the car etc.It does seem as if something has failed as I was driving in the no heat setting yesterday but it was still hot.
At least if I push the lever on the heater to the bottom it helps a bit.
Thanks again all
Steve