Strange whirring noise under bonnet

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Tilleypops425
MMOC Member: No

Re: Strange whirring noise under bonnet

Post by Tilleypops425 »

Hello again A quick update. Firstly yes fuel pump clicks when key is turned. When the headlights are turned on the ignition still turns over. Does this mean the battery is ok?
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by geoberni »

The trouble with diagnosis by letter, is not being there to actually see/hear it. :cry:
Firstly yes fuel pump clicks when key is turned.
That's a good sign, if its the normal click rate and then stopping after a short while, it should mean fuel is OK
When the headlights are turned on the ignition still turns over.
I hope you mean the engine still turned over on the Starter, ....but how dim are the headlights going when you do that?

Have you tried Jump Leads?
Perhaps you haven't got any.

I suggest you go back to simmitc's list and try all the stuff about looking for a spark.
Basil the 1955 series II

Tilleypops425

Post by Tilleypops425 »

Have got jump leads. Is it the same as jump starting a modern car? My husband said something about the car being negative earth and that you have to be careful.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

All Modern Cars are Negative Earth.

All Minors were built Positive Earth
, but many have been converted to Negative Earth simply because you can't get hold of things like negative earth Radios any longer. Equally, if the car is now fitted with an after-market Alternator finding one of them with a 'Positive earth' is like finding Hen's Teeth.
(Cars built with Alternators were built with Positive Earth ones, but that's a story for another time)

Irrespective of which way around the battery in connected, it's simply a case of Positive Battery Terminal to Positive Battery Terminal, and likewise with the Negative terminals.
I would like to think that the Battery is clearly identified in that regard, with + & - markings on the battery case, perhaps even Red and Blue markings too.

If you have any doubts at all, don't do it.
Post a photo of your installed battery for identification if needed.
Basil the 1955 series II

StillGotMy1stCar
Minor Fan

Post by StillGotMy1stCar »

Tilleypops425 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:24 pm Have got jump leads. Is it the same as jump starting a modern car? My husband said something about the car being negative earth and that you have to be careful.
What your Husband is referring to is if you use jump leads between two cars with an opposite earth system you have to make sure that no metal part of the cars touch, i.e., chrome bumper to chrome bumper, which would put a short circuit across the batteries, with modern cars having plastic bumpers the only risk would be if the battery is in the rear and you have a towbar fitted and that touches the bumper.

Regards John
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

Tilleypops,

I am sending you a personal message (part of which is best not posted on the thread).
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

Oliver
Can't imagine why but can see exactly what the message will be :D :D :D :D
Tilleypops425

Post by Tilleypops425 »

Update.

Hubby won't get involved now in checking for sparks. He is well versed in the mechanics of the human body (doctor) but he prefers to leave the mechanics of a car to a mechanic.
We tried jump starting her as he was happy doing that she is trying to start she makes all the right noises but doesn't actually fire up it's not the starter motor in that case I assume.
He says it must be elecrical and won't touch it now.
I'm going to put a call out to my local club to see if anyone with the relevant knowledge will pop over and see if they can help us.
Thanks for all your excellent advice but frankly we are clueless we just love driving her and neither of us feel confident beyond changing the coil which we have done charging the battery we have done that and jump starting her which we have just tried. There were sparks coming from the new coil as I forgot to turn the key back to off whilst hubby was under bonnet I was in the car having previously just been told to turn the key to try and start her but I didn't turn it back again before he started doing something with the coil and he said there were sparks so I'm guessing that's a good sign....?
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

you might just have flooded it trying to start with a dud coil, try starting it with the choke in and foot flat to the floor on the accelerator
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

This is where the Forum fails , I bet there are plenty of people reading this who are capable , and some probably just live round the corner from you , who would be pleased to come and fix it with you...

Your location please...

John ;-)
Manchester
Tilleypops425

Post by Tilleypops425 »

Hi sorry for delay I'm in South Wales just over border with England.
Flywheel
Minor Fan

Post by Flywheel »

Hi Maddie, have you any updates on your car's starting problem?

Vehicle problems are very frustrating, and can drive you bonkers sometimes. Although I'm sure in the end it will be sorted out.

Fingers crossed, and hopefully you'll get your car running again very soon.

Jonnie.👍
What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? :roll:
W. Clement Stone
Tilleypops425

Post by Tilleypops425 »

Hi Johnnie

My apologies for late reply. I've PM'd you.

Regards
Maddie.