Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
CharlieW
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Oil Filter Problems

Post by CharlieW »

Hi all. I need some more advice.
I drained the engine oil last weekend with a view to replacing the oil and filter etc. I was a bit baffled with the contents of the oil cannister and it seemed the previous filter wasnt doing much of anything. I had a look at other queries here, did a bit of research and it seems I have a purolator type. There was no oil filter bowl plate or spring. In fact there was a spring but it was way oversized and stuck up the middle of the old paper filter. There were some washers as well. I was careful to ensure nothing was thrown out with the old filter. I plan to put this back together as following
*Fixing bolt with rubber and steel washer on outside of cannister (existing)
*Spring - see problem below
*Metal washer (existing)
*Rubber washer (existing)
*Oil Filter bowl plate with convex side into filter. (new and delivered today)
*Paper Filter cartridge (new)
*Large metal washer (existing) I couldnt see this as being a requirement on any of the technical details. Im not sure if this would be required if fitting a felt type filter only. I read the purolator type can take both paper and felt filters. I was planning on fitting this as well unless advised otherwise. This was sitting atop the old filter when removed.

Im not sure if I need the seal oil filter bowl? This was missing from my set up. Some technical details don't indicate this. Presumably if requried this would go in before the spring?

The problem I have is availability of the spring. All the usual places are out of stock. I found a spring which looks to me as an option. Once everything is put back together with the spring - the top of the filter protrudes approx 25mm out of the cannister. This would easily compress once the unit is bolted in - with the top of the filter tight against the head. I could even take a bit out of the spring. Is this a viable option? Another idea was to insert a piece of copper pipe the correct length to ensure filter is tight to the head. Im worried any of the above could causes serious isues. Even if it was a viable temporary option until i got the correct spring. I know a spin on conversion would make sense but Im reluctant to go this route if I can work with what ive got.
As usual any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Charlie.
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Oil Filter Problems

Post by philthehill »

I suspect that the large washer which was found on the top of the filter is the plate that is attached to the filter head. These are easily detached and re-attached is made by making three cleats to hold the plate in position.
The filter head plate can be seen in the photo below.
Cooper s oil filter 1 (2).JPG
Cooper s oil filter 1 (2).JPG (808.24 KiB) Viewed 403 times
The separate plate goes under the oil filter and above the spring.
You can see the sequence of assembly re the washers and spring which fits around the filter housing bolt.
If the spring will allow the filter bowl to make contact with the filter head seal you will be alright.
Replace the filter bowl seal in the filter head as a matter of course.
Last edited by philthehill on Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CharlieW
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Re: Oil Filter Problems

Post by CharlieW »

Thanks for the quick response and Photos Phil - very helpful.
I suspect you are correct with the large washer. I plan to remove the head to allow easy fitting of the new gasket. Ill continue with the make do spring and replace with proper spring when available and the filter bowl seal.
Thanks again...