Wild Goose hissing sound solved

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
midiadventure
MMOC Member: Yes

Wild Goose hissing sound solved

Post by midiadventure »

So for the past month, only in the afternoons and evening i would get a terrible wild goose hissing sound at high revs. Firstly only noticed in second as just town driving but over the weekend in 3rd and 4th going on A roads.

Found a great thread on the forum about terrible engine noise and that helped diagnose the issue. Waterpump totally gone and the wild goose was steam escaping from the pump at higher revs. Replaced today and what i thought was timing chain rattle has gone too so that is a bonus.

Morning drive was still too cold so thats why it was intermittent i think.

So if you hear a goose then check for play in the fan. Seriously considering renaming mosquito "wild goose"
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Re: Wild Goose hissing sound solved

Post by myoldjalopy »

Well done - result! :D
Flywheel
Minor Fan

Post by Flywheel »

Hi thanks for sharing your information. These little problems can sometimes appear to be more serious than we first thought.

My neighbour who was a London cabbie, had his taxi's engine cut out and he honestly thought the motor had seized up. In the end he found that the alternator had seized up solid, and stopped the engine. He thought he was looking at a bill for a recon engine. Glad to know it wasn't that serious.
What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? :roll:
W. Clement Stone
Matt
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by Matt »

I had a focus that seized the alternator - I think it got a lot of water in it and then froze - cracking the casing.

I couldn't work out what was going on until I tow started it and plumes of smoke came off the auxillary belt! Fortunately it was an easy fix with an alternator from my spares stock
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

We like easy fixes! 8)