Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Chief
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Metallic sheen to the radiator water.

Post by Chief »

Hi,
I noticed that the top of my radiator water has an oily/metalic looking deposit to it:
IMG_0207.JPG
IMG_0207.JPG (1.55 MiB) Viewed 361 times
I dipped in kitchen paper, and this is what appears to be making up this strange effect:
IMG_0211.jpg
IMG_0211.jpg (329.19 KiB) Viewed 361 times
If it's rust it's really strange, as it's so thin and while it does rub orange if smudged on the paper, it's not like bits of metal - more very thin flakes of something and the water itself as can be seen from the paper is clean and not brown as I'd expect from rust.

I wondered if radiators have some coating which could be coming off and causing the effect and more importantly, is this anything to be concerned about?

I looked up about head gaskets and I don't think this is what's happening, but on the off chance I did take some further pictures based on what I read online, so here's what the insider of the oil filler looks like:
IMG_0208.JPG
IMG_0208.JPG (1.57 MiB) Viewed 361 times

And also I noticed my heater control tap and an area under the bypass hose have now got some form of white deposits on them, is this anything that needs attention or just age related:
IMG_0209.JPG
IMG_0209.JPG (1.67 MiB) Viewed 361 times
IMG_0210.JPG
IMG_0210.JPG (1.53 MiB) Viewed 361 times
I haven't started the engine to check for leaks as a precaution in case the radiator water was cause for concern.

Thanks.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Metallic sheen to the radiator water.

Post by philthehill »

If you are not loosing coolant or experiencing a loss of power I would not worry too much. I would leave as is but keep a watchful eye on the coolant level.
The inside of the rocker cover looks fine.
The white deposits are a result of weeping antifreeze.
You could replace the bypass hose and gaskets/washers relating to the heater tap.

Chief
Minor Addict

Re: Metallic sheen to the radiator water.

Post by Chief »

Thanks for the response. I put bypass hose but in actual fact its the top radiator hose, guess it's force of habit to write bypass hose :lol:

This is the first time I've been at the car since lockdown so the white stuff may have been residue from the last time the hoses were replaced, just can't remember now in truth.

Also re-discovered the forgotten fact that I'm completely out of fuel 8)