Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Constantly flooding when trying to cold start

Post by ManyMinors »

I must admit that - especially as the weather is now a little colder - I have always started my Minor using FULL choke from cold. It is very rare for it not to start first time even after a few days out of use. The choke can fairly quickly be returned gradually. It always lives outside. It is well maintained so that I know the spark plugs and contacts are in good order. In my experience, if a Minor won't start easily, there is something wrong with it and it needs a look at. Forgive me if this has been covered already but has the car had a decent service/ignition check over recently? Good luck with it but it is unlikely to be anything very serious. They are very simple and reliable cars.
Alice Minor
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Re: Constantly flooding when trying to cold start

Post by Alice Minor »

ManyMinors wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:23 pm I must admit that - especially as the weather is now a little colder - I have always started my Minor using FULL choke from cold. It is very rare for it not to start first time even after a few days out of use. The choke can fairly quickly be returned gradually. It always lives outside. It is well maintained so that I know the spark plugs and contacts are in good order. In my experience, if a Minor won't start easily, there is something wrong with it and it needs a look at. Forgive me if this has been covered already but has the car had a decent service/ignition check over recently? Good luck with it but it is unlikely to be anything very serious. They are very simple and reliable cars.

Hiya

Just incase you didn’t know I inherited Lucy after my late dad passed away November last year , to begin with I spent over a week trying to get her to start not realising she had a choke , after finding out she had a choke I flooded her time and time again so the advice I got from here from quite a few people was she shouldn’t need to much choke so found in the summer she’d start without but take a few try’s but mostly I’d only use 1/2 , every morning last week 1/2 choke and she’d start 2nd try , 1 morning it was 3rd try , after work it was 2nd try everyday apart from Thursday when she needed 4 attempts but it had rained all day and was quite chilly but I put it down to the rain, left her since Friday afternoon in the garage and today she wouldn’t start , she’s fully serviced and a brand new battery on her as the last one was faulty