Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Use of Metro rear drums on a Minor.

Post by philthehill »

Just been reading a note on the use of Metro rear drums on a Minor.
The person posting states that as the drums are thicker they are less likely to distort or go out of round so improving the braking.
The Metro PCD is 4" but the drums are thicker in every dimension. They also have a 5-6mm boss on their outer face which puts the wheel track wider by 10-12mm when fitted to a minor. Metro wheel studs would have to be used if the boss is left in place. The person posting recommends that the boss is removed in a lathe. A hole for accessing the brake adjuster has to be drilled as well.
Any comments would be appreciated.
Metro rear drums in the link below.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REAR-BRAKE-D ... SwTRZeUV0M

JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Re: Use of Metro rear drums on a Minor.

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Doesn't seem worth the bother when so little of the braking is done by the rears.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Thank you for the above.
The main benefit I can see in fitting the Metro rear brake drum is in replacing the poor quality pattern parts available. Looking on 'e' bay there does seem to be several NOS UNIPART 7" diameter metro/Mini brake drums available. UNIPART was at one time part of the BL empire and their parts had a good reputation for quality.
The original poster observed the original brake drum distorting under brake application pressure which led them to fit the modified Metro brake drum. They said that there was a considerable improvement in the braking application with the Metro brake drums fitted.

Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

As someone who will be relying heavily on my handbrake once my car is out on the hills I find this post very useful.

I will be sourcing a set of Metro drums to add to my ever growing list of parts to be fitted to my Minor.

As ever Phil, thanks for bringing the information to light.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Murrayminor
I have sent you a PM.
Phil

JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

If their brake drums were knackered they would notice an improvement by fitting any new drum. I do not believe a proper 'original' brake drum would distort under brake application. They usually distort through heat when the brakes have been cooked and left on either through a fault or applying the brake when they are still hot. For a brake drum with ordinary wear and tear I would just have them skimmed. I think it highly unlikely a Metro drum would improve braking as the steel is the same as the Minor.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

As I have 8" Wolseley rear brakes on my Minor I will not be fitting Metro 7" drums but the concept is worth a discourse.
The nearest I have gotten to fitting Metro brake drums on my Minor was the fitment of Minifin brake drums way back. The reason for fitment was the reduction in un-sprung weight. The Minifin drums were sold on when I fitted the Wolseley 8" drum brake set up.
Phil

mowogg
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by mowogg »

It would be very intersting to hear if they are a straight fit. I agree replacement parts are very questionable.

Has anyone on th drum fitted a pair?
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

In the past Buick put finned aluminium drums on their cars.
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

Murrayminor wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:01 am As someone who will be relying heavily on my handbrake once my car is out on the hills I find this post very useful.

I will be sourcing a set of Metro drums to add to my ever growing list of parts to be fitted to my Minor.

I live in Dartmoor, which is rather hilly to say the least, and have also lived in West Yorkshire and the Cotswolds (none of which are particularly flat) and I have NEVER experienced any concerns regarding the handbrake holding any of the 7 or so Minors I've owned on any hill. If your car is well maintained, there is no reason whatsoever that the handbrake should be a cause for concern on your car! I appreciate that this could be a useful modification IF rear drums of good quality become unobtainable, and it's good that Phil has shared it, but if you've already got a long list of items to fit to your car, I wouldn't prioritise machining a set of Metro drums to fit it.
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

liammonty wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:57 am
Murrayminor wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:01 am As someone who will be relying heavily on my handbrake once my car is out on the hills I find this post very useful.

I live in Dartmoor, which is rather hilly to say the least, and have also lived in West Yorkshire and the Cotswolds (none of which are particularly flat) and I have NEVER experienced any concerns regarding the handbrake holding any of the 7 or so Minors I've owned on any hill. If your car is well maintained, there is no reason whatsoever that the handbrake should be a cause for concern on your car! I appreciate that this could be a useful modification IF rear drums of good quality become unobtainable, and it's good that Phil has shared it, but if you've already got a long list of items to fit to your car, I wouldn't prioritise machining a set of Metro drums to fit it.
I apologise I didn't make myself clear, when I mentioned hills I was referring to hills encountered on classic car trials.
My Minor is being prepared as a competition car so having a fully working strong handbrake is a necessity on some very steep hills, which if I fail to proceed, will entail having to reverse down the hill using the handbrake and the main braking force, hence my interest in the stronger rear drums.

Regards

Dermot.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

Ahh - that makes sense!
Murrayminor wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:58 am
liammonty wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:57 am

I apologise I didn't make myself clear, when I mentioned hills I was referring to hills encountered on classic car trials.
My Minor is being prepared as a competition car so having a fully working strong handbrake is a necessity on some very steep hills, which if I fail to proceed, will entail having to reverse down the hill using the handbrake and the main braking force, hence my interest in the stronger rear drums.

Regards

Dermot.
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

If you wanted to space out the rear wheels, perhaps these Mini ones with built-in 1" spacers would work:
https://tinyurl.com/y2c3xy42
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

redb.sized.jpg
redb.sized.jpg (76.36 KiB) Viewed 1080 times
Were available in Midget/Minor sizes a while ago. Minifin branded.
Cardiff, UK