Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Choke Won't Return

Post by myoldjalopy »

Hello peeps,
Recently I have been having problems pushing the choke knob back in on my SII after pulling it out to start up. The return mechanism is not sticky at the carb end and I am wondering if the wire cable itself is sticking/jamming in the outer cable. Whilst I have considered pulling the inner cable through to oil it, the end has seen better days and is a bit mangled (bent and somewhat frayed) so not sure that would be a good idea as, once I start to pull it through, it might not want to go back down.
Anyone else had this problem - any thoughts?
geoberni
Minor Legend

Re: Choke Won't Return

Post by geoberni »

It's a difficult one, sometimes oiling can just attract more dust and make it worse after a brief period.
obviously haven't seen it, but sometimes a cable end such as you describe can be 'cleaned up' in terms of reshaping and twisting back together, enough that it can be soldered on the end to hold the strands in place, whilst not making it too bulky to pull back through the sheath.

Otherwise, how about remove the whole assembly from the car and squirt penetrating oil down it to clean out any crud, without letting the end disappear inside :lol:
Basil the 1955 series II

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Yes, or I might just disconnect at the carb end, have a go at tidying up the wire end a bit and hold the cable up to squirt something down without removing it.....and if that fails, I just remembered I have a spare cable in a box at the back of the garage 8)
oliver90owner
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by oliver90owner »

I am wondering if the wire cable itself is sticking/jamming in the outer cable

Is there really any doubt of this?

It will need servicing or replacing. How the repair is achieved would depend on several factors - from simple lubrication to shortening the inner and outer to replacement of either or both.

I’ve encountered this problem many times. One just takes the action necessary - whatever might be relevant and appropriate. Sometimes the repair costs effort and other times it involves spending money on a new item. They are available.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Thank you - I had not thought of shortening the cable to get rid of the mangled end. I will see tomorrow if here is enough length on it to do this.And, as I said, if all else fails, I have a spare in the back of the garage somewhere.......
newagetraveller
Minor Fan

Post by newagetraveller »

Is it one of the old cables where you can pull it out and then twist the knob to stop it slipping back again?
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

It is older - 1955. It has a number of indents that allow it to click into a number of locked positions in order to adjust the mixture.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Sorted! I shortened the cable, lubricated and all is well. Should have been dead easy but te nut behind the dash was sooo stiff and I had to spanner it off all the way which, the nut being where it is behind the dash, was awkward and tedious. But all's well that ends well 8)