Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
TStanb
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

rear brake/backplate - order of re-assembly

Post by TStanb »

Hi
I did look through the search engine before I wrote this (honest) but please can you tell me the order of re-assembling the rear brake/backplate.
That top return spring doesn't look like it stretches very far and has got "scraped knuckles and swearing" written all over it.
Thanks
jaekl
Minor Addict

Re: rear brake/backplate - order of re-assembly

Post by jaekl »

Hook the rear spring to the shoes before offering them up to the back plate. The front spring can be placed in the upper shoe hole. Put the rear of the shoes into place with the front of the shoes collapsed together. Spread the front and hook the front spring. Now use leverage to insert the snail adjuster. It really goes quick easily. The beehive springs take a bit more practice.
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
The springs / brake shoes are the (second from**) last things I refit and it does take a bit of fiddling.
I use a combination of a hook tool (link below) and long nosed pliers, attaching the springs through the holes in the bottom shoe first and then pulling / levering them into position and through the holes in the top shoe -- don't forget to slot the adjuster into the bottom shoe first though.
Fiddly but it's worked for me a few times now.
Best wishes,
Mike.

** The last things being the 'Beehive' springs that lock the shoes in place. Some on here have in the past questioned the necessity of these / said they don't fit them but I think they are important.

https://pulsar.ebay.co.uk/plsr/clk/0/SA ... 3723%22%7D

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/11-Extra-Lon ... %3A2334524

PS: Don't forget to make sure all sensitive souls are out of earshot whilst engaging in this task.......... :wink: :lol:
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
TStanb
Minor Friendly

Post by TStanb »

Thank you, fellas