Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ed8die
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

radiator bottom hose connection weeping

Post by ed8die »

I Had a slight weep from the bottom hose connection on the radiator. Tried instant gasket without success, wrapped a piece of bicycle tube around the pipe and refitted the bottom hose. Problem solved, or so I thought. I now see that the weep is not coming from the connection itself but there is coolant weeping from between the outer and inner wall of the bottom hose itself. Has anybody ever experienced this? Does that mean this hose is now fit for the bin?
I can't seem to enclose the picture . . .

Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: radiator bottom hose connection weeping

Post by Shropshiremoggie »

I think the best ( and safest ) thing to do is fit a new hose and clips .
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Hose pipe layers de-laminating - a common fault.
Replacing the hose will eliminate the problem. Stainless Jubilee type clips are best.
Patching the hose can lead to total failure and loss of coolant resulting in serious damage to the engine.

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

This is a 'No Brainer'.
Never try to bodge a repair to a hose unless you're on the road when it happens.
Any sign of a hose defect, change it asap.

if you're lucky and it's a top hose, then you'll probably see steam from under the bonnet when it goes. If it's a bottom hose and you're moving, the water/steam may well disappear behind you under the car, making it less noticeable.

Last time I had a hose fail was a few months after buying an old pickup when I first arrived in the USA 13 years ago, and I was considering changing some hoses as they looked quite old, but no obvious signs of bulging. One of those jobs you're always thinking about needing doing.... Luckily we were only about 1/4 from home.
I had sufficient water and hose repair tape in the truck for emergency repairs.
The Truck was my regular drive to work, 45 mins each way out into the desert (on a state highway, not any back roads) 8)
Berni2008_0518(023)A.jpg
Berni2008_0518(023)A.jpg (515.67 KiB) Viewed 842 times
Basil the 1955 series II

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
Modern rubber is rubbish these days, plus hoses are not that expensive, I agree with the points above, just buy another.
Silicon hoses are a better option IMO, that is what mine are now.

https://www.morrisminorspares.com/cooli ... ff-p829663
Or do the whole lot, fit and (virtually) forget:
https://www.morrisminorspares.com/cooli ... ff-p829661

As an aside and to underline my point about modern rubber, I have replaced all the bushes on Sally with silicon ones. However, I initially couldn't see any rear spring saddle bushes in this, so bought some new rubber ones and fitted them.
Sally is up on axle stands while she's being worked on, so you'd think they'd be under no real stress......
By chance I was working in that area again and happened to glance at them, to find them already splitting! :o
Despite not even having gone out on the road under load as yet! :o
Fortunately I have now found some silicon items and replaced them, I have included a link below for any others on here who need to replace theirs.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Morris-Minor ... 2749.l2649
I think it may be worth my creating a post on this subject.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

It is always worth checking the condition of the hoses periodically. Cracks and other signs of deterioration are a warning to replace the hoses, rather than waiting for actual failure far from home on a dark and stormy night............... :(
ndevans
Minor Legend

Post by ndevans »

I've also got leaking hose problems. The bottom hose was weeping from the joint with the radiator, so I took it off, and found a small dent in the radiator pipe. I restored it to its proper shape, and refitted the hose, with 2 jubilee clips. There is about 6cm of hose overlapping the pipe flange, so plenty of space for the clips to grip on, but it's still weeping coolant. The hose was new in December, and it's a manageable problem, in that the actual amount of coolant lost has been probably no more than 50-100ml over about 600 miles. Even so, I'm thinking about trying a little plumbers tape around the end of the radiator pipe.
Last edited by ndevans on Tue May 25, 2021 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
cheers N

33063, Eridge, Sept 2021 by Neil Evans, on Flickr
'69 Traveller, 1275, discs.
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Worth checking the clips again and see if you can get a turn out of the screw as they settle.
ndevans
Minor Legend

Post by ndevans »

JOWETTJAVELIN wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:05 pm Worth checking the clips again and see if you can get a turn out of the screw as they settle.
Tried that, they are tight. I'm wondering whether more modern hoses are slightly too large in the inside diameter?
cheers N

33063, Eridge, Sept 2021 by Neil Evans, on Flickr
'69 Traveller, 1275, discs.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Try tightening with a 7mm socket or 7mm hose driver.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121787703999 ... %3A2334524
I have found that modern hoses are notorious for weeping. I have just fitted a new set of good quality coolant hoses to my Minor and I have had to tighten them much more than I would have expected or preferred.