Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MontyMorris68
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Fuel Pump

Post by MontyMorris68 »

Afternoon,
After some winter restoration works on my car and being on axel stands for the last 4 months it was time to let Monty see the light of day.
I got him started after a few attempts he started and began stuttering badly and them decided to stop all together. I tried to restart him but didn't here the clicking from the fuel pump. I took of the connections one by one and disconnected the battery and reconnected it and still o click from the fuel pump. Over the course of the winter I have fitted a new hose from the fuel pump to the carburettor, I could smell fuel but still not starting. I put £6 of fuel into him today and was reading half a tank. I have no idea when the pump was last changed or even cleaned and serviced, for piece of mind do I fit a new pump or buy the service kit.
Thanks in advance for the help and advice.
Morris
paul 300358
Minor Fan

Re: Fuel Pump

Post by paul 300358 »

First, disconnect the fuel pipe from the carburettor, place the end in an empty bottle and get someone to turn the ignition on. This will tell you if the pump is pumping fuel or not.
MontyMorris68
Minor Friendly

Post by MontyMorris68 »

Unread postby paul 300358 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:13 pm

First, disconnect the fuel pipe from the carburettor, place the end in an empty bottle and get someone to turn the ignition on. This will tell you if the pump is pumping fuel or not.

Thank you.
kevin s
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by kevin s »

You can also try giving the pump a sharp tap this will often kick them into life, though probably not a long term fix.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Basics.
Is there 12volt feed to the pump?
Has your winter restoration disturbed the wiring?
Give it a tap or three like Kevin suggested.
Basil the 1955 series II

jaekl
Minor Addict

Post by jaekl »

Fuel pumps are the one item that needs to be used regularly and it likes attention. Take the cover off. Since the carb is out of fuel you will find the points closed. Push the points in and it may start pumping again. Cleaning the points may be all you need to do. It could also be a old stiff diaphragm, especially if you find the points open. A readjustment (most likely loosening) of the diaphragm may get you going for another year or so. At some point a service kit with diaphragm would be in order. It's not a difficult procedure.
MontyMorris68
Minor Friendly

Post by MontyMorris68 »

Will give it a go at the weekend and thanks for all the help and advice.
MontyMorris68
Minor Friendly

Post by MontyMorris68 »

geoberni wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:43 am Basics.
Is there 12volt feed to the pump?
Has your winter restoration disturbed the wiring?
Give it a tap or three like Kevin suggested.
It was something that I didn't touch during the winter work other than change the hose from the pump to the carb.
MontyMorris68
Minor Friendly

Post by MontyMorris68 »

Afternoon all,
After the information I received from all and having removed the hose from the fuel pump to the carburettor and fuel was flowing into a glass jar. I reconnected the pipe and still not starting and tried another piece of hosing. I have taken the top off the carburettor and checked the float and it seems to be working fine and cleaned out the chamber to ensure not dirt or residue was in it. All put back together and still not starting. When I took the hose of the carburettor the fuel pump was ticking over but when I put it back on nothing. Could this be a problem with the jet assembly?.
All help and advice is greatly appreciated
Thanks
Morris
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

So are you sure this is a fuel problem? The pump appears to be working, the float is working, but the engine won't start and you have a smell of petrol?
If the float chamber is full, the valve will shut off and the pump won't tick.
So it may be an ignition problem - remove one of the spark plugs after trying to crank up the engine. Is it wet and does it smell of fuel? If yes, check for sparks at king lead and plugs.
MontyMorris68
Minor Friendly

Post by MontyMorris68 »

myoldjalopy wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:30 pm So are you sure this is a fuel problem? The pump appears to be working, the float is working, but the engine won't start and you have a smell of petrol?
If the float chamber is full, the valve will shut off and the pump won't tick.
So it may be an ignition problem - remove one of the spark plugs after trying to crank up the engine. Is it wet and does it smell of fuel? If yes, check for sparks at king lead and plugs.
I am not 100% sure it is fuel but thats what I initially thought after asking the questions last week. I have took the carb off to check it all and make sure it was all fine.
As I am relatively new to all things Morris and still working my way round my car and getting to know it better and grateful for all help and advice like most people are.
I will try what you have said next weekend
Thanks
Morris
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

OK. The majority of poor-starting/non-starting issues are ignition problems and, given that the tests I suggested are simple, only taking minutes to do, I would do these before messing about with the carb jet assembly. Unlikely this would have changed during the car's lay-up - unless you altered it, for some reason, during the 'winter restoration works' you mentioned?
Basically, if there is a spark at the king lead, but none at the plugs, then the dizzy cap or rotor arm are suspect (unlikely to be all four plug leads/plugs at the same time). If, on the other hand, you have good sparks at the plugs, then we're back to fuel......unless you altered the timing over winter?
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

Quite right from moj. It is always worthwhile checking systems are working before jumping to conclusions.

Checking for spark is a five minute job, or less. Simple to confirm if the problem is ignition at minimal effort and zero cost.

If the plugs are wet and there is a good spark, suspect the fuel.
MontyMorris68
Minor Friendly

Post by MontyMorris68 »

Evening,
Thanks for the help and advice. After getting my neighbour to give me a helping hand to solve the problem, it turned out to be a problem with 2 spark plugs which have all now been changed and back to normal running.
Thanks again for all the help and advice.
Morris
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Well done....and a nice easy fix too - we like them 8)
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

Plugs or plug leads?🙂. Firing order is often ‘overlooked’.