Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MKT
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Rattle under drivers side

Post by MKT »

I have a 1968 2 door saloon, and I have developed a rattle under the drivers side of the car, only on bumpy roads, sometimes it fills as if it is right under the drivers seat, I have removed the wheel and had a good check around but nothing seems obvious, it has been suggested it could be wear in the steering rack, any suggestions on what to check for would be appreciated

Thanks in advance Ron
newagetraveller
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Rattle under drivers side

Post by newagetraveller »

Shock absorber ?
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Have the bolts securing the brake master cylinder been refitted the wrong way round? If so, the can knock against the torsion bar when the suspension is working hard.

Yes, I agree that the shock absorber mounting bolts are also worth giving a proper check.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Check the condition of the eye bolt bushes.

MKT
Minor Friendly

Post by MKT »

Thanks for the reply's had the car 3 year's and noise has just started so I don't think it would be the master cylinder bolts, Phil can you explain what bushes you mean please
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The bushes are located at the inner end of the lower suspension arm. The eye bolt is what attaches the inner end of the lower suspension arm to the chassis leg.
Below is a photo of the inner end of the lower suspension arm and eye bolt. The eye bolt has had a grease nipple fitted and poly bushes installed.
Eye bolt poly bush.JPG
Eye bolt poly bush.JPG (202.96 KiB) Viewed 1008 times
If the bushes are worn the pin that goes through the centre of the eye bolt can rattle against the eye bolt causing the eye bolt to wear.

neilmorey
Minor Fan

Post by neilmorey »

I agree with Phil, who provided advice when I had to do this job. I had a knock on passenger side but once bushes were replaced it was gone.
There is a guide here for replacement, you don't necessarily have to remove the eyebolt if it is fit for reuse.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=39829&p=391217&hili ... sh#p391217
MKT
Minor Friendly

Post by MKT »

Just want to give an update, a local branch member suggested he had had the same noise, which he found his shock absorber had come loose, so decided to check mine, after knocking back the tab washers I got a at least a full turn on three of the bolts, and the fourth bolt just turned and would not tighten, the bolt was ok so obviously stripped inside, took it for a run and the noise had gone, the two top bolts were larger then the bottom two, so I think there has been problems in the past, so need to find a repair for the faulty bolt,

Many thanks for your replies Ron
ronnie
Minor Fan

Post by ronnie »

Hi. I had a rattle from under my drivers side and drove me mad for weeks. Sounded like an exhaust rattle. I even had the door card of thinking it was coming from inside the door. Ended up it was the torsion bar bushes . Changed them drives like new car