Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ndevans
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Ford discs-sticking caliper?

Post by ndevans »

Bowie69 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 5:45 pm
ndevans wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 4:04 pm Only problem with using the old carrier as a drift is..... How do I then remove it when it becomes stuck in the hub along with the new one? :o
You either grind down the circumference, or cut a slot in it before doing so....
Bit late now!
cheers N

33063, Eridge, Sept 2021 by Neil Evans, on Flickr
'69 Traveller, 1275, discs.
ndevans
Minor Legend

Post by ndevans »

A bit of heat, and some wiggling of the old carrier with a small pair of molegrips released it.
cheers N

ndevans
Minor Legend

Post by ndevans »

I have measured the outer diameter of the carrier with a Vernier caliper. it comes out as 47.04mm. The inside diameter of where it fits in the hub, however, is as best as I can make out, 46.82mm. so over 0.2mm interference. Without wishing to put ideas into anyone's head-that seems a bit too much of a difference to me?
cheers N

oliver90owner
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by oliver90owner »

It is not a carrier; it is one of the bearing races. IF the difference is 0.2mm interference fit, that is in the realms of permanent shrink fitting. I suggest the ‘best you can make out’ is simply not good enough.

You have the old race and the new one, so compare them? If the bearing race went in and the old one came out relatively easily, what are you messing about at?

Use a micrometer (not a caliper), btw, for accurate measurements. Do you have internal point calipers for comparative measurement (by the same measuring instrument)?
ndevans
Minor Legend

Post by ndevans »

oliver90owner wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 10:33 am It is not a carrier; it is one of the bearing races. IF the difference is 0.2mm interference fit, that is in the realms of permanent shrink fitting. I suggest the ‘best you can make out’ is simply not good enough.

You have the old race and the new one, so compare them? If the bearing race went in and the old one came out relatively easily, what are you messing about at?

Use a micrometer (not a caliper), btw, for accurate measurements. Do you have internal point calipers for comparative measurement (by the same measuring instrument)?
I have a set of internal calipers, but I don't have a micrometer larger enough to do 47mm-mine is a 25mm. I've only tried measuring the internal diameter using the vernier caliper, I can't lay my hands on the internal caliper currently.
The old race is the same as the new, 47.04mm.
cheers N

oliver90owner
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by oliver90owner »

Not measuring it properly is just as good as not measuring it at all.
ndevans
Minor Legend

Post by ndevans »

So I *think* I've cracked the problem of the "mystery rhythmic knocking". Having got the engine out, I thought I'd have a look at the gearbox, a quick visual inspection to see of anything obviously won't with the rear bearing. Well, there was no sign of it slipping or turning within the carrier or the bell housing, a long shot, but I thought I'd check.
However, there was this:-

https://youtube.com/shorts/FK4sSC7SRbc?feature=share

All tightened up now. The engine isn't ready to go back in yet, but it looks like a smoking gun to me. Proof of the pudding will be in the eating.

Cheers N
cheers N