Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Bleeding

Post by myoldjalopy »

Quick question peeps - How many downward strokes of the brake pedal would be enough to clear the longest line (master to rear nearside) of old fluid? I'm thinking of using a one-way valve on the tubing so I can do this on my own. Also it would be helpful to know how many pumps before you need to top up the master again to continue? Thanks.
oliver90owner
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Bleeding

Post by oliver90owner »

Pi*Diameter squared of master cylinder*stroke, all divided by 4 is the volume of one stroke. Measure volume of master cylinder and divide the first into the latter (but allow for some leeway).
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Best to keep going until clean fluid without air comes out, keeping an eye on the master cylinder level. If it is the fluid you want to change, pump the majority of it out until the master cylinder is nearly empty, then fill it with fresh before bleeding all wheel cylinders. It is much better to have someone help by operating the pedal.
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

oliver90owner wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:15 pm Pi*Diameter squared of master cylinder*stroke, all divided by 4 is the volume of one stroke. Measure volume of master cylinder and divide the first into the latter (but allow for some leeway).
Ummmm.... eh? :o
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Come on Mike, anyone who has bled their brakes knows that. :roll: