Engine Steady Cable

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Christopher Ellison
MMOC Member: No

Engine Steady Cable

Post by Christopher Ellison »

Received replacement engine steady cable (referred to as Gearbox Steady Wire by supplier) and it's too long: the cable has a 'snake' in it and cannot be tensioned at all. Supplier says it's the only one he's got: nothing shorter. Comparing it to the original in which the wire has parted, the adjustment thread on the replacement appears to be about 13mms shorter than the original. Has anybody else come across this please? There are several serious yacht riggers in town who could shorten the cable for me, but am reluctant to do this not knowing the SWL and if there is an easier way out.
Christopher Ellison

Re: Engine Steady Cable

Further - still finding my way around the website - I am a new paid up member but have owned Madge, a 1968 home convertible for 14 years. SORN'd for the last 3 years and now getting ready for the road again, so you may see more of us....
smithskids
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by smithskids »

you could make a spacer up and at least use it. :D
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

If it is not right ditch it and fit the correct item.
A new cable should not break the bank.
https://www.morrisminorspares.com/gearb ... le-p830861

Whilst you are at it change the 1/4" UNF bolts in the gearbox casing for 5/16" UNC studs/bolts. The 1/4" UNF threads are too fine for aluminium. You will need to drill the steady cable flange to suit the 5/16" studs/bolts.
The use of the 1/4" UNF bolts was an after thought and should have been upgraded right from the start when incorporating the gearbox steady cable modification.

Make sure that the gearbox cross member is the right way round and that the steady cable mount on the gearbox cross member is correct.
See BMC wksp manual for details of the incorporation of the gearbox steady wire.

Christopher Ellison

Thanks Phil and the replacement cable I have is indeed the "correct' cable from the link you provided - ESM. ESM parts department tell me they're all like the one they've sent me and promised to look through their old stock to see if they ever had a shorter one or one with a longer tensioning thread. Nothing heard as yet. Appreciate your advice about the bolts and the BMC Workshop Manual of which I'm an avid, if largely uncomprehending reader. But I am learning.
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

Lengthen the thread with a die? Fit washers (or a spacer, as already suggested)?
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

If the cable in my link above is the same as the non compliant item the threads cannot be lengthened as the cable is crimped within the unthreaded body.
Here is a genuine BMC engine steady cable Pt No: ACA5106.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMC-Morris-M ... SwRmxgb0nm

What gearbox are you trying to fit the engine steady cable too? The cable was only fitted to the 948cc/1098cc gearboxes.
The 803cc gearbox does not have the steady cable fitted.

pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

Chris
Have you got the little top hat bracket correctly placed ?
This was discussed a few years ago in this thread.

viewtopic.php?t=56225

Phil P
Christopher Ellison

Many thanks all - Diverted by other business over the weekend and will post again when I can get back to Madge.
Christopher Ellison

Phil and Phil - Grateful for your advice. Bought the BMC item from eBay as you suggested - fits, and can be tensioned. The thread on the tensioning end is 22 mms longer than the one that came from ESM although end-to-end they are much the same length overall. Have told ESM.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Chris
Many thanks for the update.
Phil