Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Head gasket splitting?

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
When I bought Elsie May I was given a few spares with her, including some parts of gasket sets and one head gasket.
However it felt a bit wider than standard in the packet, so I opened it to find:
DSCF3811(1).JPG
DSCF3811(1).JPG (883 KiB) Viewed 916 times
I have no idea what make it is, it was in a sealed plain plastic bag.
Now to me, whilst it is still perfectly flat, it looks like I'd be asking for early failure by installing that, but when I showed it to an engineer at a local well known engine rebuilders, he said he thought it would be okay as the 'fire rings' are still fixed firmly in place.
DSCF3813(1).JPG
DSCF3813(1).JPG (750.42 KiB) Viewed 916 times
DSCF3812(1)_LI.jpg
DSCF3812(1)_LI.jpg (3.4 MiB) Viewed 916 times
So what do others on here think?
I'm ordering another gasket set to be on the safe side.....
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
paul 300358
Minor Fan

Re: Head gasket splitting?

Post by paul 300358 »

For how much they cost, I wouldn't fit it. It's not worth chancing it going when you are out and away from home.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

I agree, specially as you have some doubts yourself, Mike. Fit something you are 100% happy with for piece of mind.
oliver90owner
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by oliver90owner »

How much thicker? It is the compressed thickness that is important. Do you know if the current head gasket is of similar composition? I’m not entirely in agreement with the previous postings.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

If the rings are sound it may be ok but why would you use something that you have doubts about ? I wouldn’t want to chance having to do the job twice. Peace of mind every time !!

JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Use Payen or one stamped Cooper's gasket.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

How much thicker?
I think it feels thicker because it has expanded and split, not because it is of better quality, if that is what you were wondering with your question.
The engineer expressed his opinion, I doubt it, which is why I thought I'd raise it on here.
I feel it's next destination is the bin. A shame and waste in a way but perhaps it should have been better stored?
New gasket sets have been ordered online.

As an aside, I have just collected Ellie May's refurbished replacement head, so hopefully she'll soon be mobile again.
I have also ordered a set of period looking inertia reel seat belts for the front, as she has none fitted.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

Obviously it was already decided not to use it.

I was not thinking, or wondering, about quality. Just fitness for purpose.

Your thread was clearly posted for agreement, from others, with your decision to dump it. I just happen to have a different outlook. Your choice - and I don’t think you would be happy to change your choice, even if others were of the same view as me.. They are obviously quite happy to endorse you spending your money.🙂
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

We are all free to do whatever we want of course and make our own decisions. I don't have a strong personal view either way - but I did wonder what the point was in asking the opinion of "an engineer at a well known engine rebuilder" and then going against it :-?
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

I have just checked the head gasket in the thread against a similar gasket I have on the shelf and the one on the shelf is not de-laminated.
So personally I would not use the head gasket in the thread and fit a good quality head gasket. If in any doubt throw it out.
Use for example:-
http://www.minispares.com/product/Class ... o%20search

or

http://www.minispares.com/product/Class ... o%20search

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Your thread was clearly posted for agreement, from others, with your decision to dump it.
I would have been uncomfortable with using it but if the overwhelming opinion on here had been that it was perfectly okay I was prepared to give it a try (and then curse if it failed soon after :wink: ).
I was going to buy spare sets anyway, as I had none and I prefer to have a spare handy, even if I had fitted the one in question.
So this was posted to gauge the opinion of others and it only went in the bin after I had read the posts, it wasn't just an endorsement exercise.
Best wishes,
Mike.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

but I did wonder what the point was in asking the opinion of "an engineer at a well known engine rebuilder" and then going against it
I was going there anyway, so it wasn't going out of my way to ask him.
I am prepared to ask if I am not sure, if I am still doubtful I ask others, like those on this forum. Just because someone is highly trained in a certain field doesn't mean they are always right about everything, I have seen engineers make mistakes before.
Best wishes,
Mike.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I agree, I’ve seen terrible things done by those who you’d imagine should be proficient. So advice is sometimes worth checking.