Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Andyhereford
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Noice from clutch

Post by Andyhereford »

I am in the process( slow!) of getting my 1968 four door minor ready for the road. Drove it up and down the drive today to check the brakes and noticed that, when the clutch is not engaged and the car is in neural, there is a noice from area of the gearbox / clutch as if something is turning/ rubbing. It is not a particularly load noice and quite possibly is masked out by the engine / road noise when the car is moving.
There is no problem operating the clutch to engage gears and as far as I can tell just driving up and down the drive the gears seem to be selecting OK.
Any suggestions please as to the cause of this noise and how I should stop it or is it something to be expected in a Minor that I think in the past has had quite a hard life.
liammonty
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Noice from clutch

Post by liammonty »

Andyhereford wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:35 am I am in the process( slow!) of getting my 1968 four door minor ready for the road. Drove it up and down the drive today to check the brakes and noticed that, when the clutch is not engaged and the car is in neural, there is a noice from area of the gearbox / clutch as if something is turning/ rubbing. It is not a particularly load noice and quite possibly is masked out by the engine / road noise when the car is moving.
There is no problem operating the clutch to engage gears and as far as I can tell just driving up and down the drive the gears seem to be selecting OK.
Any suggestions please as to the cause of this noise and how I should stop it or is it something to be expected in a Minor that I think in the past has had quite a hard life.
It's difficult to say without hearing it, but if it's when the clutch is engaged and in neutral (i.e. clutch pedal not depressed) I suspect it is just as likely to be the bearing on the first motion shaft in the gearbox as it is to be something to do with the clutch. If it's quite quiet, as you say it is, I would be inclined to change the oil in the gearbox (or at least check it's not low) and run the car for a bit and see if it gets worse or not.
mowogg
Minor Fan

Post by mowogg »

It's dificuilt to tell from your description of the noise but mine has always been a bit more noisy in neutral. It's been like that for 20+years so if it's the same I would not be too worried
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Likewise my old Series II whirred loudly with the engine idling, but when pressing the clutch the noise went. The box was fine in operation.
Andyhereford
Minor Friendly

Post by Andyhereford »

As always thank you experts for your replies / suggestions to my query. The car is not in a state to take it for a proper run yet but I did check the gear box oil, which I did change last year when I got the car, and it is up to the rim of the filler. It is not really that noticeable but it is just a bit strange as it disappears as soon as you depress the clutch and seems to not be present once a gear is engaged. I’ll see if it gets any worse if / when I finally get the car on the road. Once again thanks for all your help.
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

Does the noise change if you increase the engine speed?

Clutch is engaged while driving. Your posts seem to be of mixed messages.
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

not sure if you understand how the clutch works, so ......................With the car parked in neutral and the engine running with the clutch out the engine is turning the first motion shaft which is in turn, turning the gearbox internals but not the gear cogs.
Once the clutch is pressed the first motion shaft stops turning,unless the car is in gear and moving in which case the cars is now driving which ever gear its in and the first motion shaft but has no connection with the engine . When Stationary the clutch pressure plate is now holding the first motion shaft disconnected from engine via the friction plate so no movement in the first motion shaft or gearbox.

The symptoms you have are very likely to be caused by wear in the first motion shaft bearing.Its a common fault, you probably will not hear it when driving. It will probably last for several thousand miles if not for the rest of your ownership. This bearing does wear to the extent that it can cause gearbox problems, I had one that began to throw fourth gear out,and a new bearing cured it.

Its not an easy job to replace the bearing ,if it gets too bad a second hand replacement box would be easier.

As an aside, If you do take the box out for any other work on the car DO NOT EVERY stand the box upright on the bell housing, although convenient, it lets all the cr...p in the box settle into the first motion shaft and ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Ignore above if you already have that understanding Good Luck
Andyhereford
Minor Friendly

Post by Andyhereford »

Kennat
Thanks for your very clear explanation. What you describe \ explain as the operation of the gearbox in neutral and in gear describes the noise exactly. The noise would seem to be caused, therefore, by a / the worn bearing on the first motion shaft. At the moment it is not too bad......I have made a recording of it if anyone is interested ( and if I can work out how to download a video).....and, as you suggest, if it gets much worse or if it starts to effect the operation of the gears I will have to do something about it.
Thanks for your help
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Andyhereford wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 11:49 am ( and if I can work out how to download a video)
FYI
As far as I am aware, you won't find any Forum that directly allows the uploading of videos, certainly this one doesn't.
I suspect it's not a feature provided due to the amount of space videos take up.
What you can do is upload to a video hosting platform, eg Youtube and then link to that.
I would not recommend use of other SM platforms that host video for anything other than short term use, since you never know if they will change their access rules and then you can't access it.

A bit like image hosting on some of the older topics around here. photos have either disappeared or now have 'PhotoBucket' watermarked all across them.....
Basil the 1955 series II

cLunK
Minor Friendly

Post by cLunK »

Andyhereford,

If it's any consolation I also have a 94 discovery that's done it since I got it nigh on 20 years ago

Common on lots of older landies🤭