Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Classiccars
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Rocker cover

Post by Classiccars »

Hi all.Changed to rocker gasket but now the screws will not catch to pull the cover on to the engine as the increased speed due to the gasket.Could I get away with just using gasket sealant and no gasket to close the gap as dont want to waste another gasket if I can help it
les
Minor Maniac

Re: Rocker cover

Post by les »

You need the gasket.

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

What rocker cover gasket are you using?

I have never had a rocker cover gasket so thick that the rocker cover is raised sufficiently so as to not allow the rocker cover nuts to engage with the studs.
Have you changed the studs around? The studs holding the rocker cover in place are longer than the other rocker shaft holding studs.

A photo(s) of the problem would be appreciated and as Les states - you do need to fit a rocker cover gasket.

liammonty
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by liammonty »

Classiccars wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:30 pm Hi all.Changed to rocker gasket but now the screws will not catch to pull the cover on to the engine as the increased speed due to the gasket.Could I get away with just using gasket sealant and no gasket to close the gap as dont want to waste another gasket if I can help it
As above - the gasket would have to be about 2 cm thick for that to be a problem! Is the rocker cover catching on the heater tap at the back? That can stop it from dropping fully. And sealant alone won't be any good, as the profile of the lip on the rocker cover doesn't match the flat surface it mates to on the head.
Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »

Thsnks.Yes its flat on with one end screwed up.I think I may get a strap and put it around the engine to pull it right. Better than climbing in the engine and standing on it.Best wishes
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

No, force should not be used nor is it necessary. It sounds like the cover might be catching on something. As you lower it onto the engine look for the threaded studs through the two holes in the cover. With the cover in place you should be able to see them and then fit the retaining screws.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I’m not clear when you say, it’s flat on with one end screwed up. It is clear that something is wrong, can you post photos? It obviously doesn’t have to be strapped to get it to fit.

Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »

I guess it's the aftermarket rocker cover
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I’m pretty sure there never was an aftermarket cover. Phil's suggestion that the correct studs have been swapped for the short ones, is worth checking. I’ve never heard of this problem before. As mentioned, do you know how to post a picture, it might help identify some issues.

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Classiccars wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 4:45 pm Thsnks.Yes its flat on with one end screwed up.I think I may get a strap and put it around the engine to pull it right. Better than climbing in the engine and standing on it.Best wishes
Lets have a reality check here.
If it's not going on then you have done something wrong, simple as that. Do not under any circumstances put a strap around the engine, stand on it or do anything else other than take it off and see what you have done wrong.

You've put photos on here before, please do so again to show everyone what you are trying to explain.
Basil the 1955 series II

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

If the rocker cover is an aftermarket item there is a good chance that the gasket face flange may have to be relieved around the heater tap and one or more head studs.
Rocker covers both standard and aftermarket should not require any serious effort to fit.

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Perhaps I need to correct myself, there were aluminium covers which would be classified as aftermarket, hopefully the OP would identify the one below as the sort he is trying to fit?
78A1DEB0-4F02-4C71-92F7-4FF16CFB3FC0.jpeg
78A1DEB0-4F02-4C71-92F7-4FF16CFB3FC0.jpeg (1.94 MiB) Viewed 1150 times

Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »

Look like the one yes.I will have to double check to see if anything is in the way and try again.may have more luck.
Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »

Look like the one yes.I will have to double check to see if anything is in the way and try again.may have more luck.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Honestly it should just drop on, yes the tap at the back sometimes touches but if it was hanging on that, it would stick out like a sore thumb! Put it in the position you are talking about and take a picture! We can only guess just talking about it.

Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »

Hi Moriseers just to update took the rocker cover and gasket off and put back on
Looks as if the screw bolts were not set straight and being held off by the spacers.So on to the next problem.Best wishes to all.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Not clear what you mean but glad you’re happy. Hope you found the problem, rather than the garage !
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Screw studs might be bent; easily done if using the lifting eyes alone to raise the engine.