Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
kennatt
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Odd Metallic tapping noise - Sounds like a diesel

Post by kennatt »

dosent sound like pinking to me , More like tappets. Could be the alternator/dynamo. /water pump. Take fan belt off and see if it goes. Mormally/unless wildly over advanced the only time you hear pinking is on acceleration or full throttle up a hill when the engine is under heavy loading.
Andymoor94
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Andymoor94 »

kennatt wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:32 am dosent sound like pinking to me , More like tappets. Could be the alternator/dynamo. /water pump. Take fan belt off and see if it goes. Mormally/unless wildly over advanced the only time you hear pinking is on acceleration or full throttle up a hill when the engine is under heavy loading.
I'm try adjusting the valves again - they're 12 and 12, so I'll do 12 and 15 as recommended whilst I'm down there. No dynamo, it's got an alternator, but I'll check the pump
Eugene - My daily driver
1954 4 Door Saloon with original 803cc Engine.
paul 300358
Minor Fan

Post by paul 300358 »

Check the rocker shaft for wear.
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

Aha, we’re now getting notification of more recent changes apart from the ignition system!?

I might suggest that the rocker arms be checked for wear. Also that oil is actually reaching the top end.

Increasing the gaps is not going to quieten the valve gear - if that is the cause.

Has the exhaust side been checked for leaks? That is for manifold, connections and pipes/boxes?

If, as originally expected, the pinking would have been evident immediately after the new system installation, particularly under heavy load and slower engine speeds.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Is that a sort of rasping or scraping sound as you increase the revs, but it fades quickly as you slow down?
Andymoor94
Minor Fan

Post by Andymoor94 »

simmitc wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:45 am Is that a sort of rasping or scraping sound as you increase the revs, but it fades quickly as you slow down?
Exactly that
Eugene - My daily driver
1954 4 Door Saloon with original 803cc Engine.
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

matters not if dynamo or alternator they are both driven by the same belt,take it off and start engine to see if noise goes.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

As above ^^^. I suspect the generator pulley, crankshaft pulley (if riveted, then they can start to separate) or just possibly water pump, but removing the belt will prove if it is one of those.
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

I had a very similar crank pulley on an anglia crack between the rivets, it sounded very similar.
rcharman
Minor Friendly

Post by rcharman »

kevin s wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:51 pm I had a very similar crank pulley on an anglia crack between the rivets, it sounded very similar.
Yes I totally agree. My started with an unknown and could not find it annoying slight tick in the engine bay, then two months later while driving it sounded like a hay harvester under the bonnet. The crankcase pulley was ready to destroy itself.