Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Thread size of stub axle

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
One of my stub axles appears to have a slightly chewed thread at the edge and won't allow me to refit the nut.
Can someone advise me what the correct sized Die would be to correct / repair the thread on this?
A link to one for sale would be brilliant too. :D
Many thanks,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Thread size of stub axle

Post by philthehill »

The thread is 5/8" x 18 TPI UNF. The L/H stub has a L/H thread.

The damaged stub axle can be pressed out and a replacement pressed in. A worn/scrap swivel is a good source of a replacement stub as the stub incurs very little wear.

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Thanks Phil.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
win
Minor Fan

Post by win »

Hi
If the damage to the thread is only slight, a thread file may clean up the thread.
I have a 18 TPI thread file you may borrow.
Regards Win
South Yorkshire
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

If the damage is slight and is on the R/H thread stub - cut a 5/8" UNF hub nut in half and clamp it to the inner end of the thread and unscrew the stub through the split nut. That should re-form the thread. You can do the same with a L/H thread 5/8" UNF hub nut for the L/H stub.
The two halves of the nut can be held together with a suitable ring spanner.

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Fotunately, after walking away and returning to it the next day, a file and renewed patience proved enough in this case.
I have also located L/H and R/H dies and will purchase them to add to my collection of tools.
Thanks for your help.
Best wishes,
Mike.