Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Unusual Breakdown

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

It might be something that is easily fixed. Or not so serious as to render the car disabled. I would only call the AA for a major fault which I couldn’t resolve there and then. You could be waiting hours for attendance.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

ampwhu wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:58 pm it does make me wonder why people pay for breakdown recovery when they want to attempt to fix a car by the roadside? why pay for a service you have no intention of using? never understood that. if it came with your insurance, fair enough but i'd be asking for a discount if it meant you wasn't going to use it.

it's like paying for gym membership in January for the year and then giving it up in February...........
No it's just not waiting a couple of hours for the service to get to you, if you have the knowledge and bits and it's a quick job.
Would I change a tyre on the Motorway or other major road, not an ice cube's chance in hell, but I'd do it on a side road or in a lay-by.
Basil the 1955 series II

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

it does make me wonder why people pay for breakdown recovery when they want to attempt to fix a car by the roadside? why pay for a service you have no intention of using?
Fortunately I get Green Flag breakdown / recovery cover included with my Nat West bank account.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Breakdown cover is the back-up you need if you can't fix the car by the roadside. I have fixed my car by the side of the road on a number of occasions - and quicker than waiting for recovery. But if I can't fix it (like when my crankshaft broke :( ) it is a great relief to be rescued, especially in the middle of B-F-N on a dark and stormy night!
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

it does make me wonder why people pay for breakdown recovery when they want to attempt to fix a car by the roadside? why pay for a service you have no intention of using? never understood that. if it came with your insurance, fair enough but i'd be asking for a discount if it meant you wasn't going to use it.

it's like paying for gym membership in January for the year and then giving it up in February...........
I couldn't disagree more. If it's something simple that fails, and you have the correct parts with you, then of course fix it yourself - it's far quicker than waiting for a breakdown service. On the other hand, if you're dressed for a ball, then no, you don't want to get your clothes covered in oil, so let the mechanic do the work. Equally, if a half shaft breaks then you're unlikely to have the spare with you, so wait for the recovery truck, which is far cheaper if it's through your annual subscription than as an ad-hoc call out.