Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Oil seepage

Post by les »

Looking at the attached picture, I can’t visualise the oil sealing arrangement in the area circled, I have a small leak coming out from between the engine backplate and the gearbox flange and slightly from the pin. normally this would be an indication of oil from the gearbox front cover, and indeed may be the case but is it possible that oil could come from somewhere else, in other words from somewhere in the circled area? I have recently renewed the sump gasket and corks, these areas now look clean. Opinions would be welcome, thanks.
C6B25E96-A4D6-4EAE-B416-6F2AAD0A0E13.jpeg
C6B25E96-A4D6-4EAE-B416-6F2AAD0A0E13.jpeg (2.97 MiB) Viewed 1488 times
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Re: Oil seepage

Post by Monty-4 »

This would be the rear crank scroll "seal" or the oil pump gasket, I think.

Perhaps a little boroscope camera off eBay through the bellhousing inspection hole would be illustrative.
Last edited by Monty-4 on Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
liammonty
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by liammonty »

A first step would be to determine whether the oil is clean, indicating it is from the gearbox, or dirtier, indicating it's from the engine. Pop a piece of white card underneath the leak to help with the sleuthing :D. Hopefully you haven't changed the engine oil recently :lol:
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Thanks to you both, the camera is a thought. —- and the oil colour is also a plan but I did changed it when the sump was done !
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

I would be inclined to monitor it before doing anything about it. How much oil you have to put in and the severity of the leak would be the deciding factor for me. Could it be just old age and incontinence (a dry Minor is a rare thing). Another possibility is oil leaking from somewhere else and going back across the engine to drip down. I would check the sump bolts again also.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Thanks, I will admit the leak has little effect on the oil level and doesn’t particularly drip as such. However there is a film of oil from the area highlighted. I suspect some may get swept along the underside of vehicle when moving but as you say I’m probably attaching too much importance to it. Sump bolts are torqued up ok and dry. The leak appears to be slight but It just annoys me !
Meggie moggy
Minor Friendly

Post by Meggie moggy »

Hi
I am watching this with interest as i have the same issue black oil on the gearbox back of engine join but have been told by the guru's at Charles Ware that this may well be a breather issue. As of yet i have not had any iuck with locating this due to getting her ready for the MOT but would appreciate independant views on this?
Meggie living in West Sussex. Slowly being restored.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Charles Ware could be right in that it may be that the piston blow past is overcoming the return scroll at the rear of the crankshaft.
There is no lip seal to contain any increase in crankcase pressure.
To overcome you need to make sure that the pressure in the crankcase/sump is negative.
Use the search facility for remedies - the most obvious is the use of the oil separator breather on the cam follower access cover and the PCV valve into the manifold. The right rocker cover oil filer cap must be fitted to suit the PCV valve.

Meggie moggy
Minor Friendly

Post by Meggie moggy »

Hi Phil
Thank you for that it gives me a bit more to go with have had a look on previous posts and feel that I am starting to get there am still learning so much!
Meggie living in West Sussex. Slowly being restored.