Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Manufacturer or supplier recommendations sought

Post by MorrisJohn »

Gents,

I’ll shortly be purchasing the following;

- New pistons
- New big end bearings
- lock tab washers (these were missing from the car)

Does anyone have any recommendation for specific parts manufacturers/suppliers for the above listed engine parts? The priority being quality.

I don’t want to pay a fortune but I do want good quality parts that will last.

Tom Roy has already been recommended to me, but other input is most welcome. I already have a copper head gasket set from ESM.
A bad day with my Volksie still beats a good day at work!

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Re: Manufacturer or supplier recommendations sought

Post by Monty-4 »

I think the tip-top is MED Engineering parts, but your wallet will want to have a little cry in the corner afterwards.

There are various sellers offering "better than original" spec parts, too, for example.

I've never had any trouble with mechanical parts sourced from the likes of Minispares, Minisport, Tom Roy, or ESM.
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

Monty-4 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:29 am I think the tip-top is MED Engineering parts, but your wallet will want to have a little cry in the corner afterwards.

There are various sellers offering "better than original" spec parts, too, for example.

I've never had any trouble with mechanical parts sourced from the likes of Minispares, Minisport, Tom Roy, or ESM.
Thanks Monty. The MED engineering ones look excellent but they’re a bit too expensive.

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Correct me if I am wrong but if I remember correctly from your previous post regarding big end bolts and locking washers -
The big end lock washers were not missing but that they are not used with the type of multi point bolt fitted.

paul 300358
Minor Fan

Post by paul 300358 »

Club stores were recently advertising nos pistons and rings. It may have been in Minor Matters?
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

philthehill wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:40 pm Correct me if I am wrong but if I remember correctly from your previous post regarding big end bolts and locking washers -
The big end lock washers were not missing but that they are not used with the type of multi point bolt fitted.
Oh, now that’s interesting. I didn’t realise there were certain multi-point bolts that didn’t require them. What is the difference between the bolts that do and don’t, and is it obvious from looking at them?

paul 300358 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:45 pm Club stores were recently advertising nos pistons and rings. It may have been in Minor Matters?
Thank you. I will give club spares a ring.

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The difference is obvious.
The bolts that require lock tabs have six sided heads and the bolts that do not require lock tabs have 12 pointed heads. They are secured by torque and stretch.
I have attached the link below to show the style and type of big end bolt that does not require locking tabs.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334067927947 ... 0667.m2042

MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

philthehill wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:19 pm The difference is obvious.
The bolts that require lock tabs have six sided heads and the bolts that do not require lock tabs have 12 pointed heads. They are secured by torque and stretch.
Thanks. These look like they should have lock tabs then?
Attachments
C428CFF7-EBC1-4781-9538-D5B358C6B2B5.jpeg
C428CFF7-EBC1-4781-9538-D5B358C6B2B5.jpeg (1.74 MiB) Viewed 1554 times
3EA324B3-A3C0-4157-9BC6-21C6509CF7E0.jpeg
3EA324B3-A3C0-4157-9BC6-21C6509CF7E0.jpeg (875.48 KiB) Viewed 1554 times

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Is your engine number prefixed by 10CC?
I ask because the centre main cap is secured by studs and nuts which is normal for a 10CC engine.
The six sided big end bolts normally have locking tabs but the person who previously assembled the engine may have decided to use Loctite instead of locking tabs which is a common thing. Is there any sign of Loctite having been used?
Personally I find that the locking tabs are two soft and can cause the big end bolts to chatter and work loose.
The 12 point bolts torqued and secured with Loctite are much more secure and give better piece of mind as regards reliability.
I also note the use of red paint inside the block which is a sign of good engine preparation. My own 1380cc comp engine has the inside of the block painted with special oil resistant red paint.

MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

philthehill wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:57 pm Is your engine number prefixed by 10CC?
I ask because the centre main cap is secured by studs and nuts which is normal for a 10CC engine.
The six sided big end bolts normally have locking tabs but the person who previously assembled the engine may have decided to use Loctite instead of locking tabs which is a common thing. Is there any sign of Loctite having been used?
Personally I find that the locking tabs are two soft and can cause the big end bolts to chatter and work loose.
The 12 point bolts torqued and secured with Loctite are much more secure and give better piece of mind as regards reliability.
I also note the use of red paint inside the block which is a sign of good engine preparation. My own 1380cc comp engine has the inside of the block painted with special oil resistant red paint.
Thanks Phil. The engine looks to be KAR-200712. Does that sound like a correct number? It’s not original to the car, it was supplied reconditioned by Charles Ware.

It sounds like the 12 point bolts are worth getting them and using with loctite threadlocker. What is the actual name of those bolts if I’m calling someone up to ask for them?

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Here is a photo of the bottom end of a 10CC prefixed engine.
10CC engine 1.jpg
10CC engine 1.jpg (226.69 KiB) Viewed 1532 times
Note the studs and nuts holding the main bearing caps.

There are several major differences between the 10CG (standard 1098cc engine) and the 10CC engine.
Namely - the 10CC engine has 2" main bearings requiring a different crankshaft.
The bolt spacing of the flywheel is larger on the 10CC engines requiring a special flywheel.

The main means of identifying the 10CC engine block is the block casting number which is 12G432 and which can be found below the rear tappet cover.
These are the big end bolts required but unfortunately all suppliers out of stock
https://www.minispares.com/product/Clas ... o%20search
A good set of S/H bolts is an option. The bolts are of good quality and can be used over and over again.

MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

This is a photo of the block below the rear tappet cover. Looks like

12A
Attachments
F27AC025-4D61-4063-9B3F-4E151564FD4B.jpeg
F27AC025-4D61-4063-9B3F-4E151564FD4B.jpeg (2.81 MiB) Viewed 1523 times

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Not a 10CC engine but why is the centre main cap secured by studs and nuts?
It looks then as though someone has played around with the engine which may or not be a bad or good thing.

MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

philthehill wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:35 pm Not a 10CC engine but why is the centre main cap secured by studs and nuts?
It looks then as though someone has played around with the engine which may or not be a bad or good thing.
Thanks Phil, so mine is a standard 1098cc engine.

I don’t know about the centre cap being secured by studs and nuts and how that came to be. The engine was supplied and fitted to the car as a reconditioned unit by Charles Ware to replace the 948cc unit as part of an extensive restoration by the previous owner. At that time it was also fitted with the T9 ‘box.

Anyway, to recap...my con rod bolt option is either to refit the existing ones but with the lock nut washers that appear to have been missing, or to try and find the 12 sided type and use torque them with loctite added?

Or I could also use loctite on the existing con rod bolts if retained. I presume I could combine that with the lock nut washers? Would that make it “extra safe”? (I didn’t notice traces of loctite on the existing bolts, but that’s not to say it’s not there).

Club spares will be able to tell me tomorrow if they have the correct size NOS pistons and rings in stock.

Once I have the big end shell size (hopefully tomorrow) I’ll look around for those and decide whether to go for “better than original”, try club spares or go for likes of Tom Roy/ESM/minispares.