Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
johnhannam
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Speedo Reading Low

Post by johnhannam »

I have a 948cc Minor convertible and my speedo now reads about 15mph low. I have recently replaced the finned gearbox with another second hand finned gearbox when the problem started. I have tried replacing the perfectly good speedo and the problem persists. Why should a gearbox swap for two seemingly similar boxes result in this aberration? Have I missed something?

Regards,
John
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Re: Speedo Reading Low

Post by oliver90owner »

Different parts in the gearbox is the reason. Speedo drives are different for different rear axle ratios?
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

John,
If you can't get it sorted I can build you a speedo corrector gearbox. It is not possible to upload photos at the moment for some reason or other.
Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan
johnhannam
Minor Friendly

Post by johnhannam »

Hi oliver90owner,
I am not an expert but,
1] the new speedo has the same serial number as the one I replaced {and the same facia}.
2]My replacement gearbox was replaced with another finned gearbox from another 948cc Minor. Is it possible that different finned gearboxes have different speedo drive ratios? So for example a 948 cc van and a 948 convertible have different speedo drive ratios?
3]I have not changed my rear axle.
The mystery deepens.
Regards,
John Hannam
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

Firstly your gearbox - a Minor with a 948cc engine originally had a smooth case gearbox.
The gearbox speedo gear on the rear of the 3rd motion shaft for both for smooth and ribbed gearbox cases is Pt No: 2A3371 (MOSS).
The pinion speedo gear again for both smooth and ribbed gearbox cases is Pt No; 2A3420 (MOSS).
Whilst you have replaced the speedo like for like the speedo you replaced may not have been the correct speedo in the first place.
Again whilst you may not have replaced the rear axle/differential it may have been changed in the past.
A photo of the front of the differential and a photo of the rear of the axle would be very helpful. The differential ratio is stamped on the top of the differential mount flange so you can determine the diff ratio without having to strip anything.
What size tyres do you have fitted?
With things like this never take anything at face value.
Phil