Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Tappet chest cover bolts

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
What size are the long tappet chest cover bolts?
I've had my spare block rebuilt, as the one in Elsie May is knackered and needs replacing. As part of this process my spare block was completely stripped and cleaned up, wereupon the tappet chest covers on it were found to be toast.
Fortunately I expected this and was planning to change them for a good spare set I have, which I have repainted in readiness........ :P
Unfortunately it appears the bolts were slung out along with the unserviceable covers....... :roll:
So I went looking on the ESM site and they don't specifically list them, however there are a few likely suspects, I just need to know the size??
Many thanks,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Re: Tappet chest cover bolts

Post by jagnut66 »

Found these on ebay.
Best wishes,
Mike.

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=DCh ... RBE&adurl=
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

For the convex covers (803cc/948cc) the bolt size is 5/16" UNF x 1.875".

For the concave covers (1098cc) covers the bolt size is 5/16" UNF x 1.25".

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

For the convex covers (803cc/948cc) the bolt size is 5/16" UNF x 1.875".

For the concave covers (1098cc) covers the bolt size is 5/16" UNF x 1.25".
Thanks phil, I will look out for the 1098 ones but good to know both sizes.

Still on the subject of engine bolts but digressing slightly:
Out of interest the bolt at the back of the engine which the engine steady bar connects onto seems to be a little longer than the other four of the shorter head bolts. is this correct or just an optical illusion?

ESM only show two sizes, the long and the short.
Charles Ware seem to recognise it on their diagram as number '8', with the other short bolts as number '9's.
However, when you schroll down to the actual parts, the bolt is shown as '#8,9' and only one bolts size is then listed for sale.
Best wishes,
Mike.
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by Declan_Burns »

Mike,
I would also fit the long studs to where the heater pipe is fitted. This means you can remove the pipe without disturbing the head e.g. if you want to change the thermostat.
Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The engine stud that the engine steady bracket fits over is slightly longer to accommodate the thickness of the bracket.
The Pt No: of the engine steady bracket stud is either 51K244 or 51K254. I am unaware of any differences between those two studs.

For completeness - the short head stud is Pt No: 51K256 and the long head stud is Pt No: 51K255.

kevin s
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by kevin s »

I was wondering why one of my studs is longer !

I've put it at the front but I don't use the steady with a hydraulic clutch so it won't be a problem for me.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

The engine stud that the engine steady bracket fits over is slightly longer to accommodate the thickness of the bracket.
The Pt No: of the engine steady bracket stud is either 51K244 or 51K254. I am unaware of any differences between those two studs.
So the follow on question is: Does anybody know where members could source this slighly longer stud that the engine steady is fixed to.
As above, neither ESM nor Charles Ware seem to supply them....
Best wishes,
Mike.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The extended stud was discontinued and the 51K256 stud used in its place.