Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
KeithL
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Broken clutch return spring

Post by KeithL »

When the car went in for its MoT the other day (which it passed with no advisories) we noticed the clutch return spring was broken and hanging off. I have ordered a replacement and the car is due to go in for its service in a few weeks, but before then we have a tour planned of 200-300 miles. Is it okay to carry on driving the car without the spring or would it be doing damage? What difference should the driver (not me - I navigate) notice?

The spring has obviously broken since the last MoT during which time we have only driven 300 miles. No difference to the driving experience has been commented upon.

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Broken clutch return spring

Post by philthehill »

Not having the spring in place will allow the carbon thrust to constantly rub against the clutch pressure plate release pad leading to rapid wear of the carbon.
I would advise that you fit a spring. It does not have to be the correct spring but it must be strong enough to pull the pedal up against the underside of the floor. You should also check the remaining depth of carbon thrust of the release bearing. You may find that the carbon thrust has already worm more than normal and may be due for replacement.
You can check the remaining depth of carbon by removing the large rubber plug on the left side of the bell housing and looking up at the carbon thrust.
Check the clutch pedal clearance when you have fitted the spring.

KeithL
Minor Fan

Post by KeithL »

Thanks Phil. I'll have a go at fitting it later. Checking the pedal clearance and the remaining depth of carbon I may leave until the service as I know I am going to struggle to get under the car to do the spring let alone the other stuff. Oh to be young again.

KeithL
Minor Fan

Post by KeithL »

I have now managed to fit the new spring and there is about 1" of play on the clutch pedal before it meets resistance.

Do you reckon I'm okay to leave it at that until the service?

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

That will do nicely :D

KeithL
Minor Fan

Post by KeithL »

Thanks Phil. Alfred the Traveller is very grateful, as is Jayne the driver.