Use of E10 petrol

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
SiJul
MMOC Member: Yes

Use of E10 petrol

Post by SiJul »

Can anyone advise which part(s) of the fuel system is at risk when using E10 (from 1Sep) Given that it is a pretty simple system, on the face of it there would seem to be few seals etc that could be damaged.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Re: Use of E10 petrol

Post by geoberni »

There's been loads of discussion and opinion in the past few months. Just search for 'E10 Ethanol' and you'll find it.

One thing not to get confused about is that it's not necessarily the Ethanol that's the problem, it's the way that ethanol attracts water. So if left to stand, it can attract water from the atmosphere and result in corrosion of some parts.
See this 2 min video for an example.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9mLbuUSt-0
Last edited by geoberni on Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Basil the 1955 series II

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Last time I had to fill up, there wasn't any of the 'regular' E5 so I had to use the more expensive 'super unleaded' E5 :(
SiJul

Post by SiJul »

Thanks Geoberni - I had not been sufficiently imaginative with my own search terms!
I have trawled through most of the posts but with no firm conclusions or proven certainty on the implications. Feedback idc on actual defects is going to be most helpful.
In the meantime I will aim to keep fresh petrol in the tank and try to avoid water based corrosion. Whether the various additives (& many seem to make unsubstantiated claims in the manner of snake oil salespeople) actually help remains to be seen.
The wisest comment I have read seems to suggest: press on and deal with problems as they arise - which is about what we have done anyway during 35 years of MM ownership!
As a matter of interest I have experienced the effects of high ethanol content diesel when introduced in Spain when put in the built in fiberglass tanks of a fairly exotic large yacht. The reaction with the resin was extraordinary - massive amounts of foam appeared after 36 hours which then solidified and blocked the whole fuel system. What it does to elderly petrol tanks remains to be seen …
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
I think apart from E10 proof hoses etc. the recommendation is Esso.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
kevin s
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by kevin s »

jagnut66 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:02 pm Hi,
I think apart from E10 proof hoses etc. the recommendation is Esso.
Best wishes,
Mike.
This is the most important bit, all the other possible issues will lead to a breakdown , split hoses could lead to your car going up in flames.

I've used cohline fuel injection rated hose, it's expensive but a worthwhile insurance.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

This is the most important bit, all the other possible issues will lead to a breakdown , split hoses could lead to your car going up in flames.
I agree, in conjunction with replacement cunifer fuel lines this is the hose I use.
It's reported as being up to E100 proof.
E10 proof will do me for now...........
Best wishes,
Mike.

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/fuel-hose- ... 7-3mm.html
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)