Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Raymondu56
MMOC Member: No

Marine BMC Vedette - Replacing Engine Mounts on my boat

Post by Raymondu56 »

Hello everyone,

We have a 60 year old Freeman 22 Mk1 boat with the original BMC Vedette Marine petrol engine (thinks its a 950cc?). After servicing and electrical replacements of everything essential the engine engine starts and runs superbly. However, just recently when the engine is put under load, ie put into gear, when applied at around 5 mph she starts to vibrate, I am wondering if the 60 year old engine mounts need replacing? There is no vibration or excessive noise when revved in neutral even at high revs. Any suggestions?
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Marine BMC Vedette - Replacing Engine Mounts on my boat

Post by philthehill »

A photo of the mounts would be helpful.
Is the prop-shaft lined up?

JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Was the distributor moved and the ignition timing altered? Valve clearances double checked? What exactly was done to it - unlikely the engine mounts would just go now.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

As above, a photo of the mounts would help.

Check that the prop has not been damaged - a chipped or bent blade will cause problems. Check that the shaft is straight and not bent - if the prop struck anything underwater, then the shaft could have been bent.

I'm not familiar with the underwater layout of that boat, but are the stern gland and cutlass bearing OK? If relevant, is the P-bracket secure? I have seen stern bearings crack and securing bolts come loose; and worn packing in the gland could allow excess movement in the shaft.

If you do fit new mounts, then disconnect the coupling between engine and shaft and use a feller gauge tn ensure that everything is lined up before reconnecting.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Edit: Also check that you haven't got some rope or similar debris on the prop as that would also cause vibration.
When working on the prop, ensure that the ignition is switched off and the key removed to prevent accidents. If no key, then disconnect the battery.

Edit 2: I've found some images of the Mark II, and it looks like the engine is mounted well forwards with quite a long shaft. If yours is similar, then also check whether there is a central bearing (or even two) to support the shaft between engine and stern gland. If so, are those bearings OK?

The images that I found show the boats as well built and spacious with good fittings, so I hope that yours is something similar.
chrischris59
Minor Friendly

Post by chrischris59 »

I also have a freeman 22 witha a vedette engine. the mounts aren't like a cars they are adjustable to ensure the drive shaft is running true. I had vibration problems under load and whilst out for anti fouling found the problem to be 3 rotted out p bracket bolts leaving it loose.
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

I have some of the flat rubber doughnut-ish mounts for a Vedette here, if you need any. Used but good.
Cardiff, UK