Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
svenedin
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Still Struggling...

Post by svenedin »

oliver90owner wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:44 am
myoldjalopy wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:16 am I'm not sure you would even get 1/4 of a mile on the contents of the float alone, probably more like a few hundred yards.......
Question - could a 'warmed-up' faulty condensor give the symptoms described by the OP after 1/4 mile?
I like your witticism. In my book, they are identical, the same, not different, very similar, alike and likely indistinguishable!

I personally define ‘few’ as more than two, but the dictionary does state it must be more than one. I go with the majority who consider it to be ‘three or more’.

That it will still idle does not particularly indicate an ignition problem to me. Maybe some are not thinking very deeply, with the details supplied by the OP?
The current edition of Minor Matters (September/October 2021, Vol42 number 5, p44) actually has a technical tip on the very subject of condensers. The symptoms were: car will idle but not rev up. A new condenser successfully cured the problem but only for about a month so a condenser was salvaged from an old distributor. It is suggested that the new condensers are not up to the standard of the originals.
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
liammonty
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by liammonty »

svenedin wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:57 am
myoldjalopy wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:16 am I'm not sure you would even get 1/4 of a mile on the contents of the float alone, probably more like a few hundred yards.......
Question - could a 'warmed-up' faulty condensor give the symptoms described by the OP after 1/4 mile?
I like your witticism. In my book, they are identical, the same, not different, very similar, alike and likely indistinguishable!

I personally define ‘few’ as more than two, but the dictionary does state it must be more than one. I go with the majority who consider it to be ‘three or more’.

That it will still idle does not particularly indicate an ignition problem to me. Maybe some are not thinking very deeply, with the details supplied by the OP?
The current edition of Minor Matters (September/October 2021, Vol42 number 5, p44) actually has a technical tip on the very subject of condensers. The symptoms were: car will idle but not rev up. A new condenser successfully cured the problem but only for about a month so a condenser was salvaged from an old distributor. It is suggested that the new condensers are not up to the standard of the originals.
It's well known that the majority of ignition components available these days are poor quality. There are good suppliers out there, though. Martin Jay (Distributor Doctor) supplies excellent quality parts.

And it's a great relief to me that Oliver90Owner's armchair diagnosis ability is so much greater than everyone elses!!
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

And it's a great relief to me that Oliver90Owner's armchair diagnosis ability is so much greater than everyone elses!!

About 60 years of working on engines, or other related topics, but we can only be diagnosing from the armchair (or perhaps texting while doing something else) when on the internet.

Please don’t exaggerate. I did not mention ‘everybody’ in any of my posts. Or do you understand that ‘some’ means ‘everybody’. But, if the cap fits….

For a start, we don’t know if the OP is running the Kettering ignition or one of the electronic systems. He does not state if the engine ever gets hot (guessing it does) and if the symptoms are continued/repeated after idling for some time (I did ask that question).

If, by now, the OP has not had the opportunity to check the fuel level in the float chamber or the fuel supply to the carburettor, he perhaps should do something to help himself sort out this problem.

A poor condenser would almost certainly cause a weak, yellowish spark at the plugs. Easily checked without changing components willy nilly on the advice of those that think the condenser or coil is always the problem. Point wear is also accelerated, by sparking at the points, if the condenser is at fault.

I can change my mind, given more information but I don’t like guessing. I also doubt it is the fuel cap causing the problem after only about a quarter mile - more likely to be over-pressure if the OP has hot climatic conditions.

Even if the OP eventually reports it was the condenser, I might not actually believe it - after all of this thread.
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

The op has thrown a fault at us,And the fuel supply was the first suggestion, the next logical question ,was on Idling for a while does it now rev and run for a short while before the fault recurrs,which would definitely indicate a fuel supply fault ,pump or carb . The OP has not replied and there is no point in suggesting anything else(Because it could be anything ) untill the OP answers the second question.All he has to do is just sit and let it idle without touching the pedal for a few seconds.Simple test.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

My dear old chap! If you must be so absurdly pedantic, let me put it this way - every time I have forgotten to turn back on my pump immobiliser switch, the car has gone nowhere near 1/4 mile before stuttering out. And that's a fact 8)
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Folks, can we please stop debating symantics and each other's abilities? Think what this thread must look like to a newcomer and ask yourself whether it's welcoming and helpful in its entirety.

There are numerous good suggestions, so let's let the OP respond with some information, and then we can make some progress. Thanks.