Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Flexible hoses for Riley front brakes

Post by Myrtles Man »

At long last I've got round to fitting the Riley 1.5 front brakes (I intended updating my original thread on the subject but it seems to have disappeared from the system). Anyway, all proceeding to plan insofar as the original fitments came off without any problems and I'm now ready to attach the Riley 1.5 backplates. It's at this stage that I realise that the Minor flexibles aren't long enough to reach the wheel cylinders in the backplates. The Morris ones measure 32cm end to end and, as far as I can see, the new set up will need flexibles of about 40cm in length. What have others done to resolve this problem? Are there ready-made alternative flexibles out there or is it a case of finding someone to custom-make them?
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Flexible hoses for Riley front brakes

Post by philthehill »

When I fitted the Riley 1.5 front brakes to my Minor I cannot recollect having to fit longer flexible brake pipes. I just used the Riley flexible pipes.
I did have to change the male nut on the end of the Minor metal brake pipe so as to fit into the body end of the Riley flexible brake pipe. The Minor brakes are Lockheed whilst the Riley 1.5 brakes are Girling which impacts on the threads used.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222771780294 ... XQ~6VQ8OKp
Last edited by philthehill on Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Re: Flexible hoses for Riley front brakes

Post by Myrtles Man »

Thanks for that information Phil; unfortunately for me the Riley brakes I acquired didn't have any flexibles with them and, as those already on the car have wheel-end fittings that are compatible with the Riley brake cylinders, I foolishly thought that it would be a straightforward swap - till I found that they're far too short to reach when anything approaching full lock is applied to the steering. (I've just looked at your reply again and only now spotted your pointer to the Riley flexibles on eBay :oops: I assume from what you write that I would need to change the car-side fitment on them - not something I would be confident about doing myself, brakes being as vital as they are.)