Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
1958trebor
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Oops! That sounds expensive.

Post by 1958trebor »

Hi all, I report a sorry tale. On Thursday night I was travelling out of Wigston, Leics, at a steady 50 mph when I suddenly lost drive and heard a metallic rumble from under the car. I was able to coast to a farmer's gateway and saw a large amount of axle oil coming out from behind the hub cap on the rear nearside. On removing the wheel, I found that the end of the driveshaft had shattered and the wheel assembly was now separated from the drive. The driveshaft was still in situ so I put everything back together and endured a wild ride back to Melton behind my brother's van, who I swear, forgot that he was towing a 68 year old car with a 63 year old driver! It was like being a ribbon! 35 minutes later, we arrived at my house and he said, "It's easy to tow, I hardly noticed you were there!" I didn't have the heart to point out the blue haze around the wheels, together with that distinctive smell of quietly simmering Ferodo's. I went over to Minorite at Billesdon on the Hill this morning and Martin sourced me a drive shaft. Jim was there, I haven't seen him in years, but he looked really well and he told me to make a contribution to the tea fund for the half shaft. I'm going to have a go tomorrow. Why did it happen? About 6 years ago, the car was outside my house on the road when a drunk driver hit it up the DONT SWEAR OR YOU WILL BE BANNED on the offside. The axle was pushed two inches forward and the spring on the offside was bent. The repairers replaced the spring and the axle was re-aligned but a couple of months later, the axle developed a leak on the nearside where the U bolts hold it to the spring. I am convinced that the impact weakened the metal as it pivoted around the point and now I wonder if it warped the drive shaft slightly at the same time. About three weeks ago, the nearside hub started leaking and I replaced the seals but it only made it worse. Fingers crossed, the shaft will come out, no damage to the diff and all is well. However, I'm not usually that lucky so any advice as to what to check would be greatly appreciated (as usual!)
les
Minor Maniac

Re: Oops! That sounds expensive.

Post by les »

Sounds like you need another axle if the metal is weak and leaking oil, it would also ensure correct alignment for replacement halfshafts. I tried to look up Minorite, out of interest, with no luck, I presumed those two people you mentioned work there.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

I agree with Les - replace as a minimum the axle tube.
The welded on spring mount are a well known source of corrosion which ultimately leads to failure of the axle tube which results in the axle tube leaking oil. The spring mounts should be regularly cleaned and covered in Waxoil. The way the mounts are attached to the axle tube has created a dirt trap.
Minorite used to advertise in Minor Matters and if I remember correctly the advert featured a Minor with a background of sun rays. I shall have to look at some older back issues of Minor Matters to confirm.

sirrom918
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by sirrom918 »

Is this the business mentioned ?
Screenshot 2021-09-18 at 09.41.32.png
Screenshot 2021-09-18 at 09.41.32.png (65.15 KiB) Viewed 840 times
1958trebor
Minor Friendly

Post by 1958trebor »

Well I think I may have dodged a rather large bullet. I started to take everything apart on Saturday morning and it all went well. Amazingly, the half shaft came out and the Diff end was undamaged. I have put the new half shaft in and cleaned out the metal filings from the tube and surrounding area.
Minorite A.K.A Houghton Garage. The company was big on the Morris scene in the 80's and 90's and the owner, Jim FUNNELL was well known on the racing circuits, His son now runs the garage and they have branched out into mainstream vehicles. It was great to see Jim again, still working well into his 70's.
Martin (Dr Morris) is still there with friendly advice and a vast knowledge of all things Morris. He told me he is looking at retirement in the next few months which will be a shock for those of us use to turning up and asking some inane question.
I worry that the pool of experts, the day to day mechanics with encyclopaedic knowledge and practical abilities is shrinking day by day.
Who will replace them?
Not the 'Plug and play', Error code 707 'Contact manufacturer for advice' type vehicle technician we have now.
Anyway, I will upload a photo of the damaged half shaft when I can and I will update the forum as to the behaviour of the new half shaft.
Stay safe.