Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
kevin s
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Cylinder Head

Post by kevin s »

Have you checked the block as well? a couple of thou on the head will work but a couple of thou on the head and the same on the block in the same area probably won't.
oliver90owner
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by oliver90owner »

Question: Was the head checked specifically over the area where the head gasket failed?
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

If the block is sound, following Kevin’s thoughts, I be inclined to refit the head using those studs and nuts previously suggested along with the appropriate torque setting, in view of you’re findings on checking the head surface.
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by MorrisJohn »

Thanks gents. The head has been checked in area where it failed (and everywhere else). This time using an engineers ruler. Block also checked and found to be fine.

Head has been compared to another known good head that a friend has, and they were identical. So I’m confident the head is fine.

Having spent a grand of so over the last few months on various bits (petrol tank, tyres, brakes etc) my wife is liable to kill me if I order a new stud and nut kit (despite it seeming a good idea) so I’m going to have to try and make the standard ones work.

Torque wrench is away being checked for calibration as we speak.
A bad day with my Volksie still beats a good day at work!

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com