Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Rear Hub Nut Spanner

Post by Myrtles Man »

I need to replace the offside rear hub oil seal and I've run into the problem of not having a socket anywhere near big enough for the ginormous hub nut which, I understand is 1 7/8AF (48mm?). I've looked online but twenty five quid for a one-off job seems a little excessive. Any (cheaper) suggestions anybody please? :-?
oliver90owner
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Rear Hub Nut Spanner

Post by oliver90owner »

Beg, borrow, hire - or make one?

Making - Know any one with a plasma cutter or milling machine? Otherwise chain drilling, jig/hack sawing and filing is the option for those without the facilities.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Of course, it's a one-off job today, but there's the other side to do in the future; and as Minor ownership tends to be a long term illness, you might well have to replace bearings and seals again one day, in which case you will be glad that you invested in the correct tool :wink:
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114857145113 ... %3A2334524

Or you look out for the real thing - but certainly not cheap.
Hub nut spanner.jpg
Hub nut spanner.jpg (493.98 KiB) Viewed 1875 times

Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

Wise words as usual. Thank you gentlemen. With regard to begging, borrowing or making, as something of a Billy-no-mates, I know of no-one likely to be able to help and although the possibility of hiring had actually occurred to me it seems a fair bet that even if I could find somewhere willing to operate at such a paltry level (the places I checked out were offering pretty substantial lumps of equipment) the cost probably wouldn't be far short of an outright purchase. So, and having come to the same sort of conclusion as you simmitc, I've bought a one-inch drive socket for fifteen quid although the biggest drive I've got is a half-incher. However, I do have a short length of square section steel tube which by sheer serendipity is an inch across each side. I reckon that it should slot into the socket when it arrives and, with a big adjustable, should be just the thing to attack the monster nut. We'll see.

PS - crikey Phil, what on earth is that? The eBay tool you directed me to is the twenty-five quid one that I mentioned earlier.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

What is it?
That is the factory recommended Minor hub nut spanner made by Churchill Pt No: 18G152.
When purchasing the hub nut socket make sure that the concave is removed from the socket to maximise grip; and try and purchase a six sided/pointed socket again to maximise the grip on the nut.
Last edited by philthehill on Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

Oh, I see. Thanks. Entirely stupid question I'm sure but what are the sticky-out bits on either side of the socket part?
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The sticky out bits fit into the axle tube so holding the socket square to the nut. Makes undoing the nut easy.
The tool fits both the 6 sided Minor hub nut and the 8 sided MGA hub nut.
If you buy a 1 7/8" socket they are nearly all 3/4" drive so unless you had a 3/4" drive bar you would have to purchase a 1/2" to 3/4" socket adapter.
My hub nut spanner is laser cut from flat plate, has 6 flats, came from Australia and cost about £42. At the time nothing like it was available in the UK.

simmitc

Post by simmitc »

The genuine tool is well worth having, but they are not made any more, and will become as rare as the proverbial [insert your choice of comparison here] so frankly, at the price quoted in that link, I wouldn't hesitate. Bull Motif used to sell a special ring spanner cut from steel plate. That also worked well, so it's possible that ESM might now offer it as they took over everything else Minor related. If I recall correctly, it was sold via Ebay for about the price you paid for your socket, but was plasma cut to fit perfectly "out of the packet".

Back "in the day", a chisel was often used on these nuts, but PLEASE do NOT resort to that, the correct spanner is safer and does not cause any damage.

Edit: ESM do have it: Rear Hub Nut Removal Tool code:ACC094 https://www.morrisminorspares.com/misce ... l-p1238487
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

Unless I've got it a about f (I often do) the eBay listing quoted by Phil isn't for the genuine Churchill tool but for one that the vendor makes when you place your order. This is what I've actually bought:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133586885414
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Yes, you're right about the link, I thought that it referred to the picture :oops: . Given the choice, I'd got for the ESM one.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

My Australian hub nut spanner is very similar to the ESM item but shorter.
When using the ESM type spanner fit two reversed wheel nuts to keep the spanner tight on the hub/hub nut.

When using the 1 7/8" socket you do need to remove the concave on the inside of the socket as with the concave in place little contact between nut and socket takes place. The socket then has a preference to slip off the nut. You do need to maximise contact between socket and nut as the nut is very thin.

Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

Thanks for the heads-up Phil - I'll get cracking with the angle-grinder as soon as the socket gets here! :D
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

As an aside I have also removed the concave of the six flat impact socket I use for the camshaft nut because again the nut is very thin.

plumby74
Minor Friendly

Post by plumby74 »

I possess the discussed 1 and 7/8th inch hub-nut item in the form of a tube spanner.

Again, it is in Australia, and seemingly, I am unlikely to need to use it again in my lifetime.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

I am so glad that you have such confidence in the Morris Minor rear hub bearing and especially the seal. :wink:

Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

I had 48mm spanners laser cut for the Girling dampers on the MG TD. It would be easy enough to beef up the handle for use on the minor.
Laser cutting is quite reasonable over here. Here is a design for a Morris Minor spanner that should work. I can order one and test fit it on my car.
Regards
Declan
Attachments
Moggy_rear_hub_nut_spanner_with_studs.jpg
Moggy_rear_hub_nut_spanner_with_studs.jpg (386.06 KiB) Viewed 1728 times
MGA_rear_axle_spanner.jpg
MGA_rear_axle_spanner.jpg (831.37 KiB) Viewed 1730 times
MG TD Girling damper spanner_10_stainless.jpg
MG TD Girling damper spanner_10_stainless.jpg (992.91 KiB) Viewed 1730 times
MG TD Girling damper spanner_6.jpg
MG TD Girling damper spanner_6.jpg (225.35 KiB) Viewed 1730 times

Regards
Declan
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

Many thanks for your input Declan; as with the various pictures I've seen of other items of yours, the finished quality of the spanners looks top notch. I should be receiving the eBay socket within the next couple of days but if that proves to be a waste of money I'll get back to you to discuss the possibility of acquiring one of yours. Meanwhile, I wouldn't be at all surprised if you were to receive approaches from other would-be hub-seal replacers on here!
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

That is a brilliant design, with the cut-outs for the studs; no excuse for slipping spanners. Excellent 8)
ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

I've used a slightly modified 47mm 6 sided socket for 30 years. 3/4 drive. I've never had a problem with it. I do the camshaft nut up with it as well