Rear brakes

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
frostythor
MMOC Member: No

Rear brakes

Post by frostythor »

I have a 1967 Morris minor 1000, I am currantly rebuilding the rear axle, during reasembly of the brake shoes I noticed my back plates have the attachement for the brakes shoe retaining springs, but I dont have any shoe spring I have seen severl ilistration showing rear brakes with and with out the shoe retaining spring so the queation is do I need to buy a set and put them on,

item 44 in the photo thanks
1cc1c26cb1d74e80207bb2f89b5b4297.gif
1cc1c26cb1d74e80207bb2f89b5b4297.gif (75.53 KiB) Viewed 1774 times
paul 300358
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Rear brakes

Post by paul 300358 »

I have them fitted but many don't. Have a search for bee hive springs
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

There is a school of thought that says the bee-hive springs should be fitted - although they can be a bit of a fiddle. As Paul says above, many don't have them fitted and that includes me.......I have never had any issues because of it.
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

I think these are what you are after. https://www.morrisminorspares.com/brake ... de-p829516

Like others, I don't think many of my cars have them. I'll refit them if they are there, but they do seem to work fine without the springs.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

They were fitted for a reason. If the factory had been able to save a few pennies by getting rid of the springs (and the labour to fit them) then they would certainly have done so, but the beehive springs were retained right through until the last car left the assembly line. One has to ask why that was the case if the springs were not needed.

Not fitting the springs is not a critical omission, the car will remain drivable and safe, but there might be an unusual wear pattern on the shoes.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Every car I've had with drum brakes has used a retaining spring of some sort on the rear shoes to keep them against the back plate. Many have also used them on the front. Across many manufacturers, Ford, Vauxhall and foreign (Japanese) brands.
The Minor is the only ones I've encountered with the beehives, most have been a variant of these:

These are Ford brakes
fitting kit.JPG
fitting kit.JPG (45.4 KiB) Viewed 1733 times
These are VW/AUDI
AUDI.JPG
AUDI.JPG (22.66 KiB) Viewed 1733 times
Minor Era Datsun.....
datsun.JPG
datsun.JPG (67.21 KiB) Viewed 1733 times
It seems that people leave the beehives off because they are a bit of a faff to fit, and they are, but designers of all manner of brakes around the world for many decades felt such devices are required, so I'm not going to leave them out of the brakes.
Imagine having your vehicle inspected after smash and being told your brakes were incorrectly assembled so they're not paying out, or perhaps a more serious outcome.... :o
Basil the 1955 series II

serowman
Minor Friendly

Post by serowman »

In my toolbox I have a special tool for fitting these springs(simples)
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Yes, it’s a pair of pointed long nosed pliers. :D
frostythor

Post by frostythor »

Hi All, I have them ready to be ordered, it was just half the photos I have seen dont have them in but the manual for a 1967 does, any way thanks for all your input, and yes I will be fitting them, as per the manual
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

frostythor wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:44 pm Hi All, I have them ready to be ordered, it was just half the photos I have seen dont have them in but the manual for a 1967 does, any way thanks for all your input, and yes I will be fitting them, as per the manual
Either those photos are there to illustrate something else - so the springs are not needed to be in the picture, for clarity or order of operations - or the photos/repairs were made by dummies.

The springs are there to positively maintain the geometry between the shoe friction material and the brake drum. Clearly the OEMs found them necessary, I expect both, for continued brake efficiency and for longevity of service life - of both shoes and drums.
frostythor

Post by frostythor »

oliver90owner, I agree with you, just waitrung for my delivery
serowman
Minor Friendly

Post by serowman »

Not long nose pliers,a special tool I think from Sykes-Pickavant
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Interesting, any pictures if possible ? Sykes make some good service items.
don58van
Minor Addict

Post by don58van »

I can't remember where I saw it... but I have seen a tool made from an old straight-blade screwdriver. All that is required is a notch filed or ground into the centre of the tip. The notch is used to engage the hook of the spring and push it into position. :D

Don
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Yes you’re right. I’ve seen the same.
don58van
Minor Addict

Post by don58van »