Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
1958trebor
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Series 2 wiper problems.

Post by 1958trebor »

People, again I start a new topic. Why? When I type in windscreen wipers, I get no results?
So, my windscreen motor on my '54 fell off last Tuesday about 12 miles from home in torrential rain and in the dark. The rubber brackets finally let go. No worries, a small section of split screen seemed to have a coating on it that allowed me to see where I was going and I got home.
I got a new rubber fixing bracket from ESM and put it on today. Motor OK BUT the wipers won't work. The wheel boxes are in good condition but the motor is moving on the new mountings and there is a graunching noise from the cable driving the wipers and no drive.
Is there just a simple adjustment In have missed or is this really the killer fault that justifies me putting this POS on ebay?
Honestly, I have used this car over the last 30+ years but as of this afternoon upside down in this car, a workhorse and faux Police car, covering thousands of miles I am seriously thinking of getting rid 'couse 'if it aint earning its keep then it aint stayin.'
I'm hoping someone will say that it's just adjustment and that, Yes, I tend to over-react everytime there is a problem.
But having spent Friday night and all of this afternoon upside down in this car, l am pretty fed up.
Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.
1958trebor
Minor Friendly

Re: Series 2 wiper problems.

Post by 1958trebor »

An update. I tried to make it work again today but still no success, It's very frustrating. The motor works and the inner cable moves in and out smoothly when I haven't got the wipers attached. As soon as I put them on, the passenger side starts jumping over the wheel in the wheel box and making a rattling noise. The motor is being forced to the right on its new rubber mounts with every rotation, to such an extent that the bulkhead metal is flexing. The inner cable is still moving in and out but looks like there is a large amount of resistance. I wonder if there was a problem with this before and the motor coming off its mountings was a symptom of it? It appears that the cable is no longer available anywhere, so I have no idea what to do now. I may have to sell the car for spares as there appears to be no prospect of resolving this. I cant even get the reg off it as it hasn't got an MOT at the moment. A disappointing end to thirty odd years of Morris ownership. :(
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Let me get this right, the wipers have a problem so you're considering scrapping the car for spares....??
Well, I'd be dismantling the entire system, including dismantling the wheel boxes if necessary, before then considering other options, such as adapting other wheel boxes.

Incidentally, typing 'Windscreen wipers' gave me 386 returns...
'Wipers' gave me 2262, typing 'Wiper wheelbox' returned 63, while 'Wiper wheel box' as 3 words gave 93....

Perhaps you miss typed one of the words... :-?
Basil the 1955 series II

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Sounds like there is a problem in the engagement of the drive rack/inner cable with the wheel in one or more of the wheelboxes - possibly the passenger side one which you mention is making a noise.
1958trebor
Minor Friendly

Post by 1958trebor »

Ok, thank you for reining me back in! I have now had a Guinness and calmed down. I think I had just reached a point having had a half shaft break on me two weeks ago, plus other assorted issues over the last two weeks, that left me asking myself, "Is this worth it?"
I have examined the wheel boxes and the passenger side one had a thin, home made sliver of metal, bent at each end, that I think, had been placed between the wheel and the body of the unit. I wonder if a previous owner had slid that in because the wear on the unit meant that the cable was able to ride over the wheel. I tried putting it back but all that happened was the cable wouldn't move at all and the rocking on the motor got worse. Before the motor broke from its mountings, I use to get an occasional 'crack' from the wipers and the passenger side one would jump but once it was raining hard, it would settle down. My gut feeling is that the inner cable is kinked because of wear and tear, or damaged when the motor broke away. Either way, when it has no load, it's fine but put any pressure on it and it kinks up and stops working. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement inner cable? Finally, now I've had my rant, I will not break it for parts---yet.
The Jurys out.
P.s Yes you were right, under the dashboard the paint is definitely darker.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Is this what you are looking for?
https://www.morrisminorspares.com/body- ... ls-p829098
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

That looks right, Mike. But the OP ought to consider whether the toothed wheel in the passenger side wheelbox has now become damaged as well as there has obviously not been proper engagement there with the drive rack.
1958trebor
Minor Friendly

Post by 1958trebor »

Thanks Mike, I'll order one tomorrow. Again, I was probably looking in the wrong place on their website.
It makes sense to renew it. I've had a good look at the wheels and both appear undamaged. Does anyone know if the outer cable is only anchored to the bulkhead by the wheel boxes and motor bracket, or if there is another fixing to find?
1958trebor
Minor Friendly

Post by 1958trebor »

I rang ESM and a very helpful man suggested that the inner cable is normally not an issue and to look at the outer cable where it meets the motor as this can fail. Bingo! there is a plastic tube about 1" in length with one end clamped in the end of the motor and the other held firm by a clip on the drivers side wiper wheel assembly. It has broken off at the motor end so the inner cable is pushing against the outer cable rather than through it. I tried super-gluing the plastic pipe together but that didn't work. I am going to try to upload a photo of it if anyone has any suggestions as to a replacement.[img_0504.HEIC][/img]

No, don't know how to.Image
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

1958trebor wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:46 pm I am going to try to upload a photo of it if anyone has any suggestions as to a replacement.[img_0504.HEIC][/img]

No, don't know how to.Image
How are you posting, on a PC or a phone?
Looking at the codes displayed where I've quoted you above, they're all over the place.
Don't use the little Insert Image button, that's for linking to an external image.
Red X.JPG
Red X.JPG (13.87 KiB) Viewed 1682 times
Click the Attachment tab below where you're posting and you'll see the instructions:
Attach.JPG
Attach.JPG (30.94 KiB) Viewed 1682 times
Basil the 1955 series II

1958trebor
Minor Friendly

Post by 1958trebor »

Hi, yes that's the part. I did try to upload a photo using the instructions but something went wrong. I'm not usually this hopeless! Anyway, I have ordered the part despite it being eye wateringly expensive. The simple fact is they have one and I need one. A friend offered to 3D print one, using the damaged part as a template. However, the resin used is bio-degradable and they weren't sure that it would stand up to the stress of being pulled back and forth. Still, it's a thought for the future. I think the over running issue on the passenger side wheelbox may be caused by the plastic end cap missing there as well. It allows the inner cable to move away from the wheel, rather than be held firmly against it. I can use the broken part for this as the good end is still intact. I have ordered a new inner cable just in case the current one is worn where it enters the wheelbox. I feel that I am making progress now, once again, thanks to your patience and knowledge of all things Mog.
I will update next week.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

I'm staggered.
You were telling us earlier that you were thinking about giving up this car and selling it for spares. Now that you have traced the problem and find that the new part required costs a mere £12.00 plus VAT, you say that this is "eyewateringly expensive"?? :o Do you really think that?
Anyway, your wiper problems should be fixed and you should be running around again soon :D
1958trebor
Minor Friendly

Post by 1958trebor »

Yep, you're right of course, Mea Culpa, a hissy fit on my part. In my defence, This damn car is like an Albatross around my neck. sometimes I wish I had never seen it. I bought it 30+ years ago, just to get to work. It was cheap (£850) and running well. I sold it about 6 years later and suddenly, many years later, out of the blue, I was offered it back. It's like a Steven King novel. The car is called Desmond but I'm wondering if it should be called Christine! Seriously though, I was a Police Officer for 34 years and now use my experience as a civilian statement taker to help people to tell the Courts how scumbags have affected their lives, by way of 'Victim Personal Statements'.
A VPS is not part of the evidence but if the defendant is found guilty, the VPS can be read out either by the victim or a court official. The impact can be significant. Judges can up the sentence of a miscreant as a result of learning what damage the A"""s has done.
Any road up. Desmond allows me to have an 'in'. I turn up in a 68 year old car and say I am from the Police. Some people think it's windup and one person asked me if I thought I was Inspector Morse! Clearly, No. I won't be scrapping the damn thing,.....yet. I'm sure I am not the only person to have had a crisis of confidence with our chosen vehicle and I certainly don't think I will be the last. I am not promising that I won't 'Go off on one' the next time something goes wrong. I rely on more sensible club members to haul me back in when this happens.
I remain, Sir, your obedient servant.
1958trebor
Minor Friendly

Post by 1958trebor »

Further: Eye wateringly expensive. £ 17.30 With discount for piece of plastic worth no more than 40p. I bought it but it doesn't make me feel happy that someone ripped me a new As****e.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I remain, Sir, your obedient servant.
Was this bit directed at Desmond the Morris? :wink:
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
1958trebor
Minor Friendly

Post by 1958trebor »

Guys, gals and Trans/non binary and those members who do not identify as any specific gender (NSG) Thanks for your help. The evil Desmond is now fighting fit until the next, inevitable crisis, when I shall come, wailing as usual, to tell the members about some disaster that will cause me to threaten to;
Sell it.
Scrap it.
Leave it in my will to my nephew who has no idea what that would mean!
Many thanks to Bryan Gosling for sourcing the part and the rest of you for the sensible advice that we all rely on to keep us sane.
Schultz