Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
cyrus
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Should I go Mintex?

Post by cyrus »

Hi my late 2 dr saloon has been fitted with a complete new braking system by the previous owner, with the exception of the drums themselves. The rear shoes have no branding and the front ones are Borg and Beck. I have put a few hundred miles on the car and was hoping they would bed in and become more effective, the car passed an MOT so they are not awful but nowhere near as good as my previous 2 dr saloon which I had in 2009. I replaced the whole braking system on that previous vehicle and adjusted it up pretty sharp, the braking was really very good and actually surprised me how effective it was. I longed for neither servo nor discs and was very happy with it.
Well I am unsure what to try now, the drums are not glazed but to make sure I went over them with emery anyway, they are adjusted right up and 1 click back and now I wonder if different linings are the answer, I would have thought Borg and Beck was an indication of quality but who knows?
I can't remember the make of shoes I had in 2009 but all the stuff was from Bull Motif. What do you think? Try the more expensive Mintex shoes from ESM?
liammonty
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Should I go Mintex?

Post by liammonty »

I replaced the unbranded shoes on my 948 (7" drums) with Mintex and it made a huge difference - the unbranded ones were rock hard and didn't do a great job of slowing the car down. they did make an amazing squealing noise though... I've since put 8" drums on the car, also with Mintex shoes, and they are better still. I would definitely give the Mintex shoes a go on your car.

Unfortunately, Borg & Beck is no longer the company it used to be. Their clutches are known to be troublesome, and I suspect that the brake shoes are equally poor.
Last edited by liammonty on Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Ageed. Go Mintex! 8)
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

Borg and Beck unfortunately just means cheap rubbish nowadays :cry:
Mintex are as good as you can get in my opinion. I have them fitted to my car and find the brakes perfectly adequate. Give them a try would be my advice - just as others are saying :wink:
cyrus
Minor Friendly

Post by cyrus »

Thank you for the replies, seems pretty clear then Mintex it is :D
cyrus
Minor Friendly

Post by cyrus »

Thank you for the replies, seems pretty clear then Mintex it is :D