Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
callevaerudite
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Engine not starting from cold

Post by callevaerudite »

myoldjalopy wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:28 pm You don't say whether you have cleaned the plugs and checked the plug gaps yet................ :-?
I admittedly didn't, so could be that :oops: I had to go out an purchase some tools for her and didn't get time! Am going to give them a clean and check tomorrow as the weather in the NE isn't looking so pleasant currently!!
callevaerudite
Minor Friendly

Post by callevaerudite »

Yeah the plug sparks were still mucky with soot so gave them a really good clean and she runs again!! I'm going to be taking her too the garage for a engine service. I spoke to the previous owner who said after owning her for 3 years had not serviced her engine and didn't know when the previous owner had!
There certainly is a satisfying feeling of doing it yourself :D
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Well, one thing is for sure - a service is overdue! But if the plugs were sooty, as opposed to oily, that does suggest rich running either due to overuse of the choke (which increasingly enriches the mixture with fuel as you pull the choke button out), or rich running due to incorrect carburettor adjustment. Do ask the garage to check the mixture setting on the carb while they have the car, because if the setting is too rich, the plugs will continue to soot up during normal motoring. Once the carb is set properly, the plugs should be a biscuity colour after a good old run. Examining the plugs after a short run with the choke out will always reveal sooty plugs.
liammonty
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by liammonty »

Worth pointing out that no adjustment to the carb should be considered until the air filter has been changed should be considered, if the car is long overdue a service, as a blocked air filter will cause a rich carb mixture :-)
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

callevaerudite wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:23 pm Yeah the plug sparks were still mucky with soot so gave them a really good clean and she runs again!! I'm going to be taking her too the garage for a engine service. I spoke to the previous owner who said after owning her for 3 years had not serviced her engine and didn't know when the previous owner had!
There certainly is a satisfying feeling of doing it yourself :D
I must admit Basil's previous owner was a self confessed 'Do nothing to it, get it done for you' type of owner, but I still gave the engine a once over when I got him home, Oil Change, Plugs cleaned and gapped, Oil/Air Filters, Tappets, Timing.
Then moved onto Brakes & Lube as per manual...
Basil the 1955 series II

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

liammonty wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:01 pm Worth pointing out that no adjustment to the carb should be considered until the air filter has been changed should be considered, if the car is long overdue a service, as a blocked air filter will cause a rich carb mixture :-)
Good point 'liammonty'. One would, of course, hope that a reputable garage would check the air filter as part of this long-overdue service :wink: