Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
moggiegeek
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

ESM disc brakes Ford, alloy hub.

Post by moggiegeek »

I've just taken delivery of the conversion kit from ESM for the above. Bit surprised to not see any general arrangement diagram or instructions included.
Is there a leaflet or thread that anyone knows of re installation?
Thank you
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: ESM disc brakes Ford, alloy hub.

Post by philthehill »

https://www.morrisminorspares.com/brake ... bs-p829476

I would go back to ESM and request a set of fitting instructions.
No mention of removing the 'Top Hat' seal in the details posted in the the link above or the setting of the wheel bearings.
I do have to say that anyone planning to fit a disc brake kit should have sufficient knowledge to be able carry out the fitment of the various parts in a safe and competent manner without having extensively detailed instructions especially as it is a safety critical item.

pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

One thing I found is that the alloy Ford disc hubs that were on my car when I bought it were not very good.
They appeared to have expanded to the point where the bearings were no longer a tight fit and they were spinning in the hub.
I tried loctite but it did not last very long before the problem re-occured.

I ended up ditching the alloy hubs and fitting the steel ones and have had no more problems since.

Phil P
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Here is a set of generic instructions suitable for fitting the ford disc brake conversion.

https://www.scparts.co.uk/pdf/530556.pdf

Over the years there have been problems reported with alloy hubs fitted to the Minor re the fit of the bearings in the hub. I believe this has been resolved.

pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

Fair comment, I had no idea how old the ones on mine were prior to changing them.
So they would have been made before the problem was sorted by the sound of it.

Phil P
moggiegeek
Minor Fan

Post by moggiegeek »

Thanks for the attached. Couldn't agree more about having the necessary tools, knowledge and experience to tackle safety critical items.
In general terms the installation is straightforward - some info comes from club postings etc like top hat seal.
However specifics re disc run out, bearing adjustment , torque settings should really be included. Perhaps ESM don't include such info so as not to incur liability - we'll see.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

A good reason to go to your local charity shop and obtain both the Morris Marina and Ford Cortina workshop manuals which will give you the torque settings and front wheel bearing adjustment.
Both manuals contain all the details you will need - I have both manuals as I have Marina and Ford parts fitted to my Minor.

moggiegeek
Minor Fan

Post by moggiegeek »

Thanks Phil, will look out for Cortina manual - which mark?
Spoke to ESM this morning. They emailed their instructions for the kit. Re the alloy hubs they reported no recent issues or returns. They weren't able to say what if anything they had changed in the manufacture of them.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The Mark 3 Cortina manual will suffice and there are usually plenty on offer in charity shops.
Back in and around 2004 problems with the alloy hubs surfaced. I understand that different alloys and production processes eliminated the problem. Here is a link highlighting some of the problems. viewtopic.php?t=64602