Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
culp
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Stiff Clutch Pedal

Post by culp »

Hello, Im having problems with the clutch pedal on my 1970 Traveller restoration. Its so stiff that the pedal, when pushed down, doesn't return despit the return spring being connected. Everything is new, and well lubricated, the car has had extensive welding including a new chassis leg on the right hand side. I've disconnected the gearbox fork and its definitely something to do with the linkage mechanism or the clutch shaft as it passes through the bushes in the chassis leg. The plate where the linkage shaft goes into the gearbox side opening is very tight and has bent slightly, could it be that?

Any tips?

Thanks in advance
clutch linkage 1970 Morris Minor Traveller
clutch linkage 1970 Morris Minor Traveller
PXL_20220102_173423582.jpg (1.3 MiB) Viewed 540 times
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Stiff Clutch Pedal

Post by philthehill »

Did you line ream the two bushes in the chassis leg to 5/8" ?
If the bushes are not line reamed the shaft can be tight in the bushes especially if the bushes are not aligned due to any mis-alignment of the chassis leg.
The distorted bush retaining cover which holds the fibre ball bush into the hollow of the gearbox cover should not be a problem but a well lubricated ball bush should be able to rotate in the hollow to allow alignment of the relay shaft.
A silly question but did you put the fibre ball bush in the right way round? The reduced shoulder should go towards the spring which fits over the shoulder.
As the brake pedal rotates around the clutch pedal shaft mis-alignment of the bushes will not effect the operation of the brake pedal.

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I was wondering if the distorted plate is gripping the bush too tight, hence the bend, and stopping any natural rotation/alignment. Indeed maybe the wrong way round.

simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Disconnect the two plates between the pedal and the relay shaft, then rotate the pedal and the relay shaft by hand to see which is tight. that will narrow down where your problem lies.
kevin s
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by kevin s »

If you haven't line reamed the two bushes my money would be on these, they are only pressed into two top hats welded to the chassis legs with no real control over how paralel they are.
culp
Minor Fan

Post by culp »

Problem solved! I disconnected the foot pedal from the linkage The foot pedal was the source of the problem, the nut on the end of the clutch shaft was too tight.

Thanks for the advice everybody :D