Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MikeNash
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by MikeNash »

Onne,
what sort of horses are those
They may not be many but they're BIG! Sure to be measured at the flywheel so you get as high a figure as possible. Thanks for advice (and to the Cam) MikeN.
PS first time I've done quotes. Thanks Relfy.
Morris Minor, the car of the future. One day they will all look like this!
Onne
MMOC Member: No

Post by Onne »

they don't measure them like that on modern cars do they?
Onne van der S. MMOCno 60520 Moderator
2dr 1971 White DAF 55 (with hopefully a 1600cc engine soon)
2dr 1973 Bergina (DAF 44)
2dr Estate 1975 DAF 46 in red
2dr saloon 1972 DAF 44 in Mimosa
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Sturdy 48 bhp from the 1098 - 55 in the MG 1100 with bigger inlet valves, twin carbs and a surprisingly efficient 3 branch exhaust.
Always a really good idea to have a spare engine all ready to go. If there's problems with the one in the car - get started on the spares to see if either of them is any good. 1098 engine in the Minor/A40 was never given the crankshaft damper that the East-West engines had as standard. With a damper fitted they can be revved to 7k - but not for long. Life above 6k is fairly limited. Strangely the only cranks I broke were 948 ones - 3 of them - until I discovered the crankshaft damper.
ImageImage
MikeNash
Minor Addict

Post by MikeNash »

Bmcecosse,
Does the crankshaft damper make the engine feel smoother? ( I ask 'cos elsewhere a thread runs on sound deadening, and it may assist on noise reduction at high revs.) If so, wot vehcle(s) should I look for to get one and it is a straight fit? No fan belt line-up problems? Regards, MikeN.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Straight off almost any Mini engine, certainly the 1275 ones, and also the 1098 E-W engine. I helps at high revs to 'kill' resonance in the crank - but for poodling about it won't make any difference.
ImageImage
MikeNash
Minor Addict

Post by MikeNash »

Bmcecosse, Wot you mean by high revs?
I realise that 70mph at circa 4300rpm may be "poodling" that you, but its transonic to me! You put your finger on it - if they have the crankshaft damper on the later E-W 1098, should we as a precaution fit to the ealier N-S 1098? I'm trying to scaremonger, I just wonder if there would be a noticeable improvement. Perhaps the later engines have less crankshaft stiffness, or strange resonances, but I'd be surprised if it was so. Or does it just rev at higher? Regards, MikeN.
Cam

Post by Cam »

Basically if you are thrashing the engine fit one, if you are just driving steadily even at motorway speeds then don't bother. Of course if you have to take the pulley off for some reason then it would not hurt to fit one.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

As CAM says - if you are going to thrash it then it NEEDS the damper. For up to 70 in top it won't make any difference. But for 70 in third it will help to hold it all together - and it seems to stop the timing chain flap about so much. But if you are going for a performance engine - you will be fitting duplex gears and chain anyway.
ImageImage