Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
fweddy
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

1098 engine to smooth box

Post by fweddy »

I have a cobber who is working on a '61 traveller. It has a 1098 engine and clutch and pressure plate but a smooth (948) gearbox. I understand it was modded to fit.

Tell me about this (I know it has been mentioned here and I've looked through about 7 pages in this section and found a little info)

Is it correct that if 948 backing plate, flywheel, clutch and pressure plate are use it fits straight up to the 1098 engine and you can put the 948 box behind it.

But this currently has the 1908 clutch etc - does this work ok??

Reason I'm asking is that it apparently makes wonderful noises when changing gears - is it likely to be the syncros worn or could it be something to do with the clutch setup? He's havign to rip the engine etc out to deal with the clutch so wants the info to get it right now.

I'd appreciate a bit of info on how compatible the smooth box is with the 1098 engine and the best way to do it and what clutch to use (figure the bigger one would be the preference).

thanks
[img]http://home.ripway.com/2004-2/65427/Sig.jpg[/img]
stracho

gearbox

Post by stracho »

Hi Tweedy the trouble is that the pressure plate on the 1098 is 2 large and ends uphitting the inside of the smooth case box so you have to use the smaller clutch and pressure plate out of the 948 or being rough grind out the inside of the 948 box to clear the 1098 pressure plate
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

Welcome to the Northern Hemisphere :D Haven't seen you over here before!
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

If the noise is ONLY whilkst changing gear then the existing cover must be clearing the existing bellhousing, so it's more likely to be the operating fork pushing not enough / too far. The pedal free play is different for the two clutches, so check that (3/4" 948 and 1 3/8" 1098 ??). Also pedal may be going down too far, might be as simple as needing a stop underneath it. Surely a 1098 box would be the best bet?
Willie
Minor Legend

gearbox

Post by Willie »

Obviously a 1098 box would solve the problems. I seem to remember that
the actual clutch operating forks are different on these two boxes which would
not help the gear changing action.
Willie
[img]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e197/wuzerk/mo9.jpg[/img]
fweddy
Minor Fan

Post by fweddy »

Thanks for response (I told the friend when I was talking to him last night that if I put a question up for him I'd get response over night)

The 1098 gearbox would be the solution, but not so easy to find. We only had them in LCV as the saloons ceased production here at Series III. Certianally are available here but this is a repair job before selling and while its to be done right there is not the time to search out a ribbed box.

As you say simmitic it seems to have been working so if we check the thrust etc and if need be make another 948 box fit he should solve the problem, otherwise we could use the 948 clutch.

If we were to use the 948 clutch option what parts need to be used - backplate, flywheel, clutch, pressureplate?

Hi bigginger - I have spent quite a bit of time here in the past (see my amount of posts) but have not been frequent here for a while. I find that by the time I keep up with the NZ forum and the Aussie one this one has so many posts, I only browse through them every so often and read the ones that look of interest. The ones down our way are a bit more relevant for us as we tend to do different things with our minors (datsun conversions etc) and local knowlege etc, but this site is great as a wealth of information for such posts as this.
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

I know you have, Fwed - I thought it was Stracho from the Oz site after your question :D
fweddy
Minor Fan

Post by fweddy »

oh I see - could be too!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The old 948 box is weak - especially on the syncro - so that may be the noises. As long as it doesn't jump out of gear just keep using it. The bigger 1098 clutch can be used - but the bell housing needs a good grinding to get clearance. Far far better to source the proper box - the box from a 1275 Sprite/Midget (dunno if you have them) is virtually the same.
ImageImage