Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
cococola
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Traveller window woes

Post by cococola »

The wood has come up great Seb and it certainly looks solid. I would add another couple of top coats for protection and I would say that you will have extended the life of your wood considerably well done!
Morris Minors..... such fun :D
Napoleon Boot
Minor Fan

Post by Napoleon Boot »

pgp001 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:51 pm It looks like you have original wood on your car, certainly the rear corner posts as they are laminated.
Yep, the previous owner said that he thought it was the original wood - it was in storage from 1982 until he bought it in 2011, but what's confusing is that there were no drain holes in the waist rails, so they must have been replaced at some point. I've drilled some now and it should help stop a recurrence of the mossy bog that had developed.
cococola wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:12 pm The wood has come up great Seb and it certainly looks solid. I would add another couple of top coats for protection and I would say that you will have extended the life of your wood considerably well done!
Thank you! I've actually given it a few coats since taking those photos, I need to take some more. It's darkened the wood slightly but I was pleased to see the rain beading up on top of the timber instead of soaking into it. It's reassuring to see that the wood is soild as well, I didn't know what would be lurking under the dark wood stain. It was quite quick and easy to do so no problem giving it an extra coat every so often.

The only iffy bits were where I expected- at either end of the waist rails where the water couldn't escape. It only appears to be superficial though and some Ronseal Wet Rot Hardener has toughened it right up.
1971 Adderley Park Traveller, "Peggy". 1098 engine, automatic transmission
cococola
Minor Fan

Post by cococola »

A good piece of advice that I was given when I replaced all of my wood was to block the holes and fill with the top coat in order for it to soak into the wood. Then unblock after a couple of days so that you know the treatment has soaked in well.
Morris Minors..... such fun :D