Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Enamel Paint

Post by stuffedpike20 »

I am thinking of painting some panels with brush- on enamel paint, because the neighbours don't like the sound of my compressor.

Can I put enamel straight on top of etch primer, or do I need a coat of ordinary (acrylic?) primer between?

Thanks, John
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Enamel Paint

Post by ManyMinors »

It is always best to use a good quality undercoat.
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

What would you advise, to go between etch primer and enamel top coat?
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

I would take advice from your paint supplier to make sure you get something compatible.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

What about putting your compressor in a small sound insulated shed of some sort, I believe it's been done before.
As long as it's only running at a reasonable hour (ie: say between 9.00am and 8.00pm) I don't see what your neighbours would have to complain about.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

Thanks for the advice gentlemen.
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

My compressors are in the bottom of a no longer used pit, keeps the noise down nicely.
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

I would wait till they were cutting lawns and then switch the comp on then counter compalain if they they do.I mean come on how often do you put your comp on bet not twice a week ,some people have nothing better to do they need to get a life.
dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

That risks grass bits blowing onto the paint
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

My neighbours are mostly elderly.

My angle grinder is a worse problem than the compressor. When working on a Minor I am often using the grinder to cut metal, clean metal and grind down welds. I try to wait until at least some of the neighbours are out.

Someone told me of a kind of magnetic blanket that you can stick on panels when you are grinding to cut down the noise. It is called "Din Damp".........but I can't find any evidence on line of this product.

When I am using my compressor it annoys ME, and I am the one using it! The way it randomly turns on....and it does make a horrible noise.

The argument against using enamel paint is that I don't think I could paint over it in the future with any other type of paint.