Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Lurch
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Robust Primer Protection ?

Post by Lurch »

Probably a schoolboy question, but I'm looking for advice on a primer that will protect areas on wings and body that have broken out into rust spots /patches, a primer that can be left on whilst car is in use until I get around to a more permanent finish. Grey would be preferable, the car is grey, but red oxide ok if needs be !
I'm aware some primers don't stop rust or protect the surface very well so need something that will hold it off on a longer or medium term basis, it'd no doubt be a bit rat look, but at least not deteriorate any further which is the main priority for now.
kennatt
Minor Legend

Re: Robust Primer Protection ?

Post by kennatt »

nothing on the top,except rust converter such as q rust ,there are many others,will slow down the rusting,primer will do nothing except hide it and let the rust eat away from the inside,get rid of as much surface rust as you can,put converter on top and prime on top. It may hold a proper repair off till you are ready to do it properly
Lurch
Minor Friendly

Post by Lurch »

Interesting, so I've got a bottle of phosphoric acid, ( if that's appropriate?) if i apply a solution of that to the rust areas you say it'll hold further rusting at bay with no further coating?
I was envisaging sanding the rusty bits back to clean metal and painting over with a good paint/primer of some kind but ??
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Once I've got rid of as much rust as possible I have found for many years that Bonda Primer is an excellent base primer. Apply a couple of coats with a brush and it can be overcoated with whatever you choose. I think it is now sold as "Bonda Rust Primer + Zinc" but has a similar appearance to a traditional red lead. From my experience I would say don't bother with the aerosol can variant. Buy a proper tin of it and brush paint it to get into all the nooks and crannies - or add a very small volume of thinner and spray through a gun.
Lurch
Minor Friendly

Post by Lurch »

Bonda primer does ring a bell from the past, I'd certainly be brushing on whatever I used rather than aerosol, as you can get a brush right into where you want it, I'll have a look on evilbay for a tin anyway 👍
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
I use Isopon 182, it contains Zinc and I find it really good.
Link below.
Best wishes,
Mike.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255046252762 ... SwE5lg5vY3
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

I have used the 182 Zinc primer too. It isn't a bad product and the colour looks less loud on many cars(!) but it didn't give such good adhesion and protection as the Bonda Primer long-term. That pinkish "No1 Primer" which Hammerite (I think?) used to sell was the worst I ever tried. Very poor in my experience and even the tin rusted through! :roll:
Lurch
Minor Friendly

Post by Lurch »

Thanks for the Bonda advice MM 👍
I've ordered a small tin and will only require a day of dry-ish weather to give it a go, although not an ideal season of the year to be painting anything outdoors
Obviously splodges of red oxide colour on a grey car is going to look a bit, erm, "classic" but it's got to be better than just leaving it rusting away !
Shame they don't do it in grey as well.
Lurch
Minor Friendly

Post by Lurch »

As a PS.. Should I put some phosphoric acid on the cleaned up rusty bits before applying Bonda or just stick with the one process ?
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

I guess the acid can do no harm - if it is all got rid of pre-painting. I don't really have any personal experience of it and have always got rid of the rust by more traditional methods first.
Lurch
Minor Friendly

Post by Lurch »

Fair enough! I may as well just go for safety and give the rust areas a good clean and Bonda straight on, which is it seems the tried and tested method..I don't want to risk any funny reactions if i can't clean the acid off completely, ( i mainly got the phosphoric to clean out the fuel tank anyway) hanks again for the intel.
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

Lurch wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:29 am Obviously splodges of red oxide colour on a grey car is going to look a bit, erm, "classic" but it's got to be better than just leaving it rusting away !
Couldn't you just apply a quick aerosol coat of grey on to the dried Bonda Primer prior to completing the job later?
Lurch
Minor Friendly

Post by Lurch »

Myrtles Man wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:39 pm
Lurch wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:29 am Obviously splodges of red oxide colour on a grey car is going to look a bit, erm, "classic" but it's got to be better than just leaving it rusting away !
Couldn't you just apply a quick aerosol coat of grey on to the dried Bonda Primer prior to completing the job later?
Yes totally ! I assume it wouldnt hurt the bonda to have a random grey halfords primer or something over the top?
I'll see what it looks like with the red oxide first, I realise it's going to have to be "rat look" for some time, tbh I'm really mainly interested in just protecting the poor old thing from rusting any further, especially as I have no choice but to have the car outside in the weather
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

I use epoxy primer, sticks well and it's waterproof.
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

It would be better if you could put some top coat over the top to seal it as normal primer is porous. If you're not bothered about colour you could create a carlequin :D or spray on some clear lacquer as a seal.
Lurch
Minor Friendly

Post by Lurch »

I somehow thought the Bonda wasn't a porous coating.. but if anyone knows for sure ??
Easy enough to splosh a bit of something over the top anyway, as I said, I'm not bothered about looks at this stage !

Ps I've now had a look online at a few forums inc narrowboats etc, and they seem to reckon Bonda isn't porous and survives well outdoors on it's own, so cosmetics aside I should be ok ! Now just need it to arrive and have a dry day...
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Now just need it to arrive and have a dry day...
I don't know which part of the coutry you're in but the forcast is rain for the next couple of weeks here........... :roll:
Garage building at present consists of going outside and working until soaked through or until I deam it unsafe to continue using my drill (with screwdriver attachment fitted).......
But then this is why I want a (nice dry) garage to work in.....
Isn't irony a wonderful thing. :wink:
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Lurch
Minor Friendly

Post by Lurch »

jagnut66 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:02 pm
Now just need it to arrive and have a dry day...
I don't know which part of the coutry you're in but the forcast is rain for the next couple of weeks here........... :roll:
Garage building at present consists of going outside and working until soaked through or until I deam it unsafe to continue using my drill (with screwdriver attachment fitted).......
But then this is why I want a (nice dry) garage to work in.....
Isn't irony a wonderful thing. :wink:
Best wishes,
Mike.
Thanks for the weather forecast :( !
In the south east, so maybe milder than up north, but the weather you just have to take day by day, as it comes....when the paint rolls up I'll take any opportunities that (hopefully) arise to dob it on some of the rusty bits as and when I can.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

And now 'Storm Barra' is coming................. :roll:
Lurch
Minor Friendly

Post by Lurch »

jagnut66 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:50 pm And now 'Storm Barra' is coming................. :roll:
Hmm...Mainly just drizzle all day here, so fiddling about inside the car only today ( and succeeded to destroy the tank sender by accidentally touching a terminal on the gauge to earth when doing a 'test' 😬 )