Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
aussiemike
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

bulkhead removal....eeeek.

Post by aussiemike »

:o Hi all, just a few random questions about bulkhead modifications. So the story so far is that I am in the middle of an engine transplant with a mazda rotary engine into my knackered 1958 traveller. I have temporarily moved the steering rack into the inside of the cabin using the original bolt holes and think that I should have enough room for engine/radiator etc. But..but, but, but...(and please forgive my complete lack of correct termanology,and spelling) I am contemplating cutting the main part of the bulkhead, the bit that goes under the battery tray and above the tunnel. Does anyone have any advise on how to do this and what kind of reinforcement should be put in place to compensate for the cutting???
I really fancy gettign the engine further back in the bay but am afraid to cut too much.(i ama wee bit of a chicken.)
cheers and please, all advise is welcome and appreciated.
thanks, michael.
Willie
Minor Legend

Bulkhead

Post by Willie »

Yes, eeek sums it up. I would imagine your best bet is to contact Jonathon
of JLH Minors as he has probably done this as an afternoon excercise!!
Willie
[img]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e197/wuzerk/mo9.jpg[/img]
TeHoro
Minor Friendly

Post by TeHoro »

Here is what mine looks like. There is length of 1"x2" RHS across under the dash support, with angled braces of 1" sq tube down to the remains of the bulkhead. I wouldn't recommend this if still using the original suspension though (this is a pickup with a full chassis and clubman-type suspension.) The bulkhead "beam" is a major structural element and would need some deifect reinforcement between the shock mounts.

Also, if you are moving the steering rack you need to be very careful of introducting bumpsteer problems. I guess you know that you can usually cut a chunk out of the top of the bellhousing for rack clearance?

T.

bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

Mmmmmmmm, pick-up... :D
aussiemike
Minor Fan

Post by aussiemike »

Wow, that is some serious work there. Any other photos?
well i got the 12a engine in again tonight and think I have enough room for the radiator but will have to wait till tomorrow to see. Cheers for the advice guys.