Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
kennatt
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

vinyl roof capping

Post by kennatt »

Hi all new to this forum but not new to moggies had several over the years my first car in 66 was a split screen convertable(wish I still had it :D ) I have a dilema .My present moggie is a splitty 1956. Had it twenty years or so. I laid it up in dry storage in 2000. When I magaged to accuire a Relient scimitar gtc Convertable one of only 400 or so built. I have started to re build the splitty just finished a full front to back mechanical,Changed everything that needed it. Have just finished the bodywork, and resprayed the panels except the roof ,which I now have the following problem. The whole of the roof is covered with tiny rust spots through to metal. I have a workable ability with coachbuilding and spraying and I know that the only way to obtain an accepable finish on the roof would be to strip it back to bare metal and start from scratch with all the etching primers etc . THAT IS ONE MAMMOTH TASK . I wonder if anyone has seen a minor of any vintage with a vinyl roof.(Hope the purists don't want me shot) I'm not bothered about originality as many minors have been customised. I just can't remember seeing a splitty with a cap on. Just curious as to what it might look like. It would sertainly save me days of preparation, Any opinion would be greatly welcolmed cheers ken
cliff
Minor Fan

Post by cliff »

hi kennatt, welcome to the forum.

i would think the reason you've never seen a minor with vinyl roof is due to the extreme curveture, i don't see how you could stretch it around without creases, having said that anything's possible these days.
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

I bought a modified accident damaged Minor with a Vinyl roof once. When I took it off, it took me hours to strip glue/paint /rust from roof - never again would I have one with a vinyl roof fitted.
Funnily enough, when I was stripping this car (bright yellow) it turned out to be a car I had seen years before being professionally rebuilt - albeit standard Maroon - small world isn't it.
When I finished it, it looked pretty good in white.
Pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
Onne

Post by Onne »

I'd also be wary of trapping the rust in between the roof and the vinyl.
Onne van der S. MMOCno 60520 Moderator
2dr 1971 White DAF 55 (with hopefully a 1600cc engine soon)
2dr 1973 Bergina (DAF 44)
2dr Estate 1975 DAF 46 in red
2dr saloon 1972 DAF 44 in Mimosa
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

well guys made a decision Started to strip the roof to metal and start again :o . Thanks for the comments but my decision is based on the possiblity of selling the splitty after it's finished. I have to make a choice Scimmy gtc. gps recorded top speed of 119(Track of course just in case the traffic plod are watching) out performs most hot hatches, cruise all day at 80,fibre glass body ,no more rust.open top in the summer. But ,and a biggy. 18 to 20 mpg,expensive to maintain ,just changed a trunnion £60 each :o ,and got to pay tax on it. Against true classic,not too sure if a 1984 reliant is a classic yet.No tax,500 yards to stop, a week to 60mph. But everybody looks at you as you trundle along. and everytime someone talks to me about the gtc they say nice stag 'just shows how well known the reliant is. Since one must go decided that I didn't want to bodge the roof incase I decided on selling the splitty.Would't want someone else to have a problem. Been there more times than I care to remember. By the way found out why the roof was in such a state(Caused by me) On closer examination saw that the tiny rust spots went down over and some were not through to the metal. Guess whos been grinding too close to the car over the seven years that it't been layed up, :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: God I wish i'd put a cover over i cheer to all ken
Willie
Minor Legend

Scimitar

Post by Willie »

Small world, my neighbour has a Scimitar GTC, regularly used but parked in the busy road all the time! He can't be bothered to park on his drive!
Willie
[img]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e197/wuzerk/mo9.jpg[/img]
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

just shows how the gtc is regarded ,only 420 made,very rare.I think at the last count only 355 left in the uk. and your next door leaves it on the side of the road :evil: :evil: .I wonder if he would leave NICE MOGGY convertable on the raod to be side swiped by a boy racer. Minors rule OK anyone want to buy a plastic pig.
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

Ken - Here's an example of a minor with a vinyl roof. It certainly appears to have trapped the rust underneath it.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-x-morris-minors ... dZViewItem

Eric - 1971 Traveller
pim123
Minor Fan

Post by pim123 »

Never have seen this before... :o
Quite stylish !!
[img]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-8/1204893/morrispim2oud.jpg[/img]