Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
PAULJ
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

roof change, Is it possible

Post by PAULJ »

Please can anyone advise me on my next problem? I have a first class car body which was restored proffeshonaly floor, seals, and inner wings but the roof is poor with rotten gutters. My other car is rotten but the roof is good. I want to swap everything over to the restored body. Can anyone think of a reason why I shouldn't cut the good roof off and weld it to the good body or just repair, replace the rotten gutters. If I cut the roof off where would the best place to cut bee?
Any of this make sence!!!! :roll:
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

brave man to try that :o :o serious rejigging to get everything back in the right place. I think that if your good one is a two door I would rather convert to soft top. Saves headlining and repainting too plus more value :D :D
moggyminor16
Minor Addict

Post by moggyminor16 »

i second that do a chop job
FB_IMG_1694290254471.jpg
flying
Minor Fan

Post by flying »

any thing is possible ...good luck to the task of doing it if you decide to do it :wink:
richard.baker707
Minor Friendly

replace roof

Post by richard.baker707 »

Hi paulj
been away from forum for awhile. just seen your question.
I'm also looking to do something similar with a roof replacement but am keeping this close to my chest till done as I've not seen anything else like it. :wink:
If you look at page R38 in the leyland workshop book you will see what looks to be a join a few inches back from the windscreen this is where I'm looking to cut the roof this would replace most of the gutter with just down by the windscreen to be repaired. Hope this helps.
Goodluck
Regards Richard
wanderinstar
Minor Addict

Post by wanderinstar »

If I was going to do the job I would cut the pillars and cut along middle of rear window. That way you would have the smallest amount of welding to do and therefore the smallest chance of panel distortion. Would also try to get some sort of tube to fit inside pillars for extra strength.
[sig]2052[/sig]Ian.
paulhumphries
Minor Legend

Post by paulhumphries »

What about a full size folding sunroof such as a Webasto to solve the bulk of the roof defects leaving just the gutters to repair ?
Certainly a lot less work than a full convertible conversion.
It's what I really fancy for my saloon - if I can ever find / afford one :)

Paul Humphries
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by RobThomas »

I was looking at the reverse option: Refitting an MM roof to an MM convertible as a removable hardtop. Does anyone still market the conv kit to chop a roof off? Not sure how it goes together and what parts are available.
I've got that S2 conv shell that I might chop the screen top off unless I can find an MM/S2 screen top from a rotten shell but I'd also like to attempt a hardtop for it. Our MM saloon is 100% rust free so it will make a great candidate for 'the chop'.

Who does/did the conv kits?
Rich_T
Minor Friendly

Post by Rich_T »

I think it was Mid Sussex Morris Minors, but could be wrong. Im thinking of doing the tourer conversion on mine.
Rich
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by RobThomas »

Who has done 'the chop' and has some piccies for me to look at? Is there a website?

(Car roof, not vasectomy) :roll: