Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
picky
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

rusted headlamp bowl - MOT failure?

Post by picky »

I was fitting new wiring through the headlamp bowl today and the hole for the wiring has rusted through, there is now a large hole here instead. Do I need to replace this for an MOT? because it is not structural or anything, and the headlamp is still solidly held to the car so I cant see any reason for it compromising safety.

Picky
1969 Four door Saloon Old English White 1275 with ported head and HS4 carb. Wolseley 1500 front brakes. Currently off the road with a leaky master cylinder!
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

As long as the moutning for the lamp is OK so that it retains its correct adjustment then you should be OK.
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

whynot fit a new bowl if you are fitting new wiring.The ragged hole will damage the wiring anyway.Plastic bowl kit from tom roy £11.95 :-?
picky
Minor Addict

Post by picky »

yes i know they are cheap but all the screws are rusted solid so will be fiddly to replace it, and i just want the car quickly on the road, preferably with a valid MOT certificate :o
1969 Four door Saloon Old English White 1275 with ported head and HS4 carb. Wolseley 1500 front brakes. Currently off the road with a leaky master cylinder!
moggyminor16
Minor Addict

Post by moggyminor16 »

no it will be fine i have only just the front on mine that hold the light in and they passed this year but in the morning will be replacing them both with the plastic ones from a landrover (cheaper to buy them )
FB_IMG_1694290254471.jpg