Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Chief
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

New Panels - Should they be rusty?!

Post by Chief »

Hi,
We recently purchased some panels from a known parts dealer, and when they arrived some were quite scratched (fair enough) but one (a boot apeture panel) has several areas of rust showing through, and I wonder if this is normal and how many others have experienced panels with rust.

It just seems a pity that you buy a new panel to be welded on to replace a rusty panel, and the panel you get has rust on it.

Is it quite a common problem with panels that they have rust on them?

Thanks,

Chief.
MoggyTech
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by MoggyTech »

Really depends how well the panels are protected after they are made, and then how long they are stored, as well as the storage conditions. Ideally a freshly formed panel needs to be cleaned, and then given a good coat of etch primer. I have seen some pretty shocking rust on some body panels that have been badly stored with scratched primer.

As long as it's very mild surface rust, it shouldn't be a problem. Seam seal the welded area, and treat the rest of the panel with good anti rust primer after cleaming off any surface rust.
[img]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f264/Ghostrider117/sig.jpg[/img]
http://www.freewebs.com/moggytech
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Post by bmcecosse »

Or - if not happy - send them back to the supplier!
ImageImage
overider
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by overider »

I would contact the supplier and tell them you are not happy. You might get some money back if you are happy with that. Alternatively, if your not tell them you don’t want them because of the rust and ask for a full refund and the return postage cost back. New means new end of.
HAVE IT! LOVE IT! DRIVE IT!