Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
67-2door
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

POR-15, worth the money?

Post by 67-2door »

When I've got my car all welded up and the underseal and rust all cleaned off I obviously would like to keep it rust free for as long as possible.
I've bought some red oxide anti-rust primer, but looking in a Frost catalogue it would seem that POR-15 is the best stuff for the job, paint over old steel and it dries to a super hard, resilient finish similar to powder coat, but obviously it is very expensive.
I dont object too much paying out for this stuff if it really is the best protection, does anyone have any experience of it, is it as good as its claims and worth the money?
wibble_puppy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by wibble_puppy »

Hi 67-2door,

I've not got any experience of that product but I know that it's very popular.

I read a Practical Classics product test a few months ago where they did some pretty harsh testing on some of these anti-rust paints and treatments (including POR-15). The one which came top in both categories was Rustbuster's Epoxy Mastic 121. So that's my choice. It's pricey though - I was given some for a birthday present! :D

It's also fiddly to use, being a 2-pack type product, which goes off after an hour and a half, so you have to be quite careful judging how much to mix up. Goes on easy though, and dries to a finish like enamel. You can leave it as it is, or paint over it if you prefer. It comes in different colours.

Oh and it smells strong - use in well-ventilated place and all that. I would suggest a shower room :wink:

wibble 8)
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

but they still recommend a covering of maintenance wax over it afterwards

just use engine oil

:D :D
wibble_puppy
Minor Legend

Post by wibble_puppy »

aupickup wrote:but they still recommend a covering of maintenance wax over it afterwards
Over which - the POR-15 or the epoxy mastic? Didn't notice that in the EM instructions :-?
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

over the mastic i read
wibble_puppy
Minor Legend

Post by wibble_puppy »

I've put chassis black over mine 8)
67-2door
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by 67-2door »

Nobody has any personal experience of the por-15 then? I guess I'll use red oxide anti-rusting primer followed by chassis black then.
alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

I tend to use a zinc-rich primer rather than red oxide. Never tried POR-15 or Epoxy Mastic.
ImageImage
Alex Holden - http://www.alexholden.net/
If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer.
jaekl
Minor Addict

Post by jaekl »

POR-15 is from the States and is very popular here. I haven't used it yet but I have not heard any issues with it.
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

Oh and it smells strong - use in well-ventilated place and all that. I would suggest a shower room
my 'shower room' is over the bath... not relly enough room for a Minor in there ;-)
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
MGFmad
Minor Fan

Post by MGFmad »

alex_holden wrote:I tend to use a zinc-rich primer rather than red oxide. Never tried POR-15 or Epoxy Mastic.
Same here, the zinc rich primer then chassis black. I will possibly then overcoat under the wings and sill edges with the waxoyl type underseal - not finally decided that part yet!
alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

MGFmad wrote:I will possibly then overcoat under the wings and sill edges with the waxoyl type underseal - not finally decided that part yet!
Just use ordinary Waxoyl or Dinitrol and reapply it about once a year in dry weather. Underseal is horrible stuff IMHO.

I also thoroughly rinse underneath with a hosepipe every time I wash the car (about once a week) to prevent mud and salt crust from building up.
ImageImage
Alex Holden - http://www.alexholden.net/
If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer.
nick69
Minor Friendly

Post by nick69 »

I have used POR15 for years. Its in/on my Shelby, its the best around in my humble opinion.
You can get it from FROSTS or HOLDENS. I sudgest the 6-Pack because if you buy the big tins, when you dont use it all and try and seal the tin back up (cling film helps) it always ends up going off. The whole tin will go hard in 24 hours. If I have to leave a tin open I put it in the fridge, keeps longer.
'57 Morris 1000 SOLD
'56 Mog powered Austin A30 FOR SALE
1970 Mercury Cougar Eliminator Resto-Mod FOR SALE
1967 Shelby GT500 SOLD
'04 Laguna Sports Tourer
wibble_puppy
Minor Legend

Post by wibble_puppy »

rayofleamington wrote: my 'shower room' is over the bath... not relly enough room for a Minor in there ;-)
I had my fuel tank in there, with its struts and supports, plus the MC cover plate 8)

In the Prat Class test they said that this stuff outperformed PoR-15 by far. :D

linearaudio

Post by linearaudio »

I bought a pint tin of POR-15 before reading all this. Cost about £20 but that included postage from Frosts. Having just finished the welding, I opened it yesterday, no mean feat aas the top is VERY deeply set! This stuff is thin and extremely black. Paints on easily, but tends to be messy under the car as it's so runny. It covers FAR better than anything else I've used, and dries to a smooth high gloss "diamond hard" finish (feels like the sort of effect you would get if you had run araldite over the chassis.) a pint did the whole underside from rear panel to front A-posts, so coverage is very good. It tells you not to get it on your skin or you will have to wait for it to wear off(guess who is waiting!). Difficult not to get something like that on you when you are lying on your back under the car! So, I am very impressed with it. Hope that helps someone, somewhere.